The Student Room Group

Thinking of moving to Dubai/UAE post graduation:?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kabulkid
i'm sure you could.

one thing that is very popular is becoming a teacher in a middle eastern country (mostly international schools). the pay is amazing, very little tax and they treat you like a king. i know someone teaching economics in Kuwait earning 80K a year no tax on that, they bought him a nice car and his rent is paid for.

Wow.

I've suddenly forgotten all the post-university plans I've been making over the past couple of years.
Original post by Secretnerd123
i meant are all uk graduated put in private schools?

ermm i imagine so, i don't know 100% about this but i know (of) 2 people doing this, one is a family friend and another is someone that my teacher knew, he was telling us how hes thinking about doing it soon.

im guessing if you want the top pay then yeah you'll be put in private schools.
Original post by NikolaT
Wow.

I've suddenly forgotten all the post-university plans I've been making over the past couple of years.

haha yeah i know, its amazing honestly, this is something that i'd defo look more into when the time comes.

ALSO: you can hit the kids there lol :P
maths, im gunna be studying engineering this september. maybe even physics, but i'd rather teach maths.

Nice. I'd love to do something like that.
ermm i imagine so, i don't know 100% about this but i know (of) 2 people doing this, one is a family friend and another is someone that my teacher knew, he was telling us how hes thinking about doing it soon.

im guessing if you want the top pay then yeah you'll be put in private schools.

doesnt seem to be any jobs in pharmacy

I heard you can do a celta course or something to be able to teach english and maths in those schools

be happy out with that wage..and short "career break" would be no harm p
Original post by Blues Clues
I lived there between the years 2000 and December 2004 - I was really young at the time but it was really fun. I'll try to keep this short, but this is all I remember:

- Money is so, so damn easy
- Everything is so expensive
- English is incredibly widespread
- If you have a foreign passport, you would have been paid extra (not sure if this is the case thanks to Emiratisation)
- Very multicultural
- Can be very flashy. Look into other cities such as Abu Dhabi (I lived there for most of the time) or Sharjah - things may be slightly cheaper in the latter.
- There is always something to do!
- IT'S SO HOT DURING SUMMER GODDAMMIT. 50C is nothing out of the ordinary. 55C isn't uncommon either.
- Everything changes very fast. All of the above may have changed!
- Class-based racism is a thing. If you're Asian, you could face discrimination because of the labourers who are usually south Asian and thus lower class. Not always the case but be aware.

god im gonna be permanently burnt!:P

what was your job:?

ah expensive..I want to save lots over there..is that possible:?

im thinking id have to forget pharmacy and try get a celta or something like so..quick teaching degree and teach in a private school as someone said

any ideas urself
went there in summer 2012 and it was too hot to breath like 43 degrees! however an awesome holiday, cheap cigarettes, great malls and the fact that SPINNEYS Is FRIGGIN AWESOME lol!
Reply 47
I love to live there too. Went there once and it was an amazing experience.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
money

sun

and painfully conservative restrictions on all sorts of things

what more could yeh want.

as a male tho I could save up enough in 3-5 years to get a bit of the mortgage paid off

anyone know someone thats done it

I'll be moving there 2019 so I hope it's good :P
Original post by squeakysquirrel
For a short time and if you are below thirty Dubai is great. It is not as conservative as you think it is and you can get virtually everything that you think you can't get. Beer and spirits are freely available in bars. Wine is expensive. You can even get pork sausages in Waitrose. All apartments have air-conditioning. It is quite cheap to live there and you will have a great social life if you want one. If I was your age - I would be there in a shot

yh lol spinneys is awesome!
Pretty awesome place. People there are filthy rich and it's all very glamorous... The weather is unbelievable though (can get up to 50C) but once you've been there for a while you get used to it, and all buildings and taxis are air-conditioned anyways. Lots of fun things to do, you'll never get bored
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KaylaMary
I'll be moving there 2019 so I hope it's good :P

me too

see yeh in dubai

first pints on me:cool:
god im gonna be permanently burnt!:P

what was your job:?

ah expensive..I want to save lots over there..is that possible:?

im thinking id have to forget pharmacy and try get a celta or something like so..quick teaching degree and teach in a private school as someone said

any ideas urself

I was still a kid at the time xD My dad was a journalist there.

It is possible to save but it depends on how much you spend vs how much you earn. The teaching idea sounds pretty good tbh!
me too

see yeh in dubai

first pints on me:cool:

I shall hold you to that :biggrin:
PM me? :colondollar:
Original post by Blues Clues
I was still a kid at the time xD My dad was a journalist there.

It is possible to save but it depends on how much you spend vs how much you earn. The teaching idea sounds pretty good tbh!

naww p
wow thats cool!

yeh id be going mainly for money tbh
Why do you type like that OP? Are you a pirate?
Very curious about this too. Any info about migrating OP?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marky Mark
Why do you type like that OP? Are you a pirate?

Original post by donutaud15
Very curious about this too. Any info about migrating OP?
irish..so pretty much
Posted from TSR Mobile

afraid not just thought id setup a thread for it

I know for pharmacy is pretty hard to get a job

try googling stuff relevant to your interest and pass on the info on this thread

would be great for everyone:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest