The Student Room Group

How do I get into medicine with poor GCSE's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ronove
You're very welcome. Twenties is not old. Even thirties isn't old. We've got a good forty years left to work at the absolute minimum, and god knows what the retirement age will be when we get that far. 5-6 years is nothing.

:smile: Thats a great way of looking at it 5 years feels so long i thought by the time i have got in to med school qualified ill be 32 then training, but in comparison retirement age is what 67 by the time i am 67 itll be 77 so i have time. Im glad im taking this step and im glad ive finally found the confidence to say i can do this. I wont let anything or anyone hold me back because i want it to much. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly dont get too worried ... you havent even got the results yet so you may have done better than you think. If you only did badly because of your personal circumstances then you are obviously very clever and will hopefully do well in a levels ... a levels are what really counts they are more important than gcses. Also if you explain to them the circumstances im sure they will be understanding. Your interview and personal statement is also important and your UKCAT so if you do well in all those things im sure you will fine.
When you apply to do medicine you apply for four medicine courses and one biomedic degree as a backup as you can get this degree first and then reapply for medicine or just use this degree for a diffrent but related job. Also you it is quite offten that people change there mind on what degree what to do before they apply as they do there research ... you wont be applying for another year but it is good to begin your research now but keep it broad you never know what situation you might be a year from now.
Reply 62
Original post by vickie89uk
:smile: Thats a great way of looking at it 5 years feels so long i thought by the time i have got in to med school qualified ill be 32 then training, but in comparison retirement age is what 67 by the time i am 67 itll be 77 so i have time. Im glad im taking this step and im glad ive finally found the confidence to say i can do this. I wont let anything or anyone hold me back because i want it to much. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I get through the course in the normal time then I will also be graduating age 32. :smile: I'll stop derailing this thread now.
Original post by Ronove
If I get through the course in the normal time then I will also be graduating age 32. :smile: I'll stop derailing this thread now.

Ah your two years older than me then 27?! Im sure you will graduate in normal time you know what your talking about and what your doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest