Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've receive unconditional postgraduate offers from both Edinburgh Uni and Glasgow Uni but cant decide which to choose. Both courses are on cardiovascular science the only difference being that one is a research masters and the other a taught masters.

At the moment I'm not too comfortable with the idea of jumping straight into a research masters and believe the Glasgow taught masters would give me a better foundation and knowledge base. Would a Research Masters from Edinburgh have any advantage over a taught Masters from Glasgow?

ReputationRep:
    Well would you rather do a PhD or something else? If you would rather do a PhD, then in general, the MRes is superior. The only issue then is that your research will probably be quite specific.

On the other hand, for my PhD interviews they seemed to concern themselves almost entirely on what projects I had done.

If you want to go into industry, I suppose an MSc would be better.

Depends on your BSc, too. Perhaps if you did BSc Biology, employers and even PhD admissions might prefer that you become well accustomed to a breadth of issues concerning cardio science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mntr)
    I've receive unconditional postgraduate offers from both Edinburgh Uni and Glasgow Uni but cant decide which to choose. Both courses are on cardiovascular science the only difference being that one is a research masters and the other a taught masters.

At the moment I'm not too comfortable with the idea of jumping straight into a research masters and believe the Glasgow taught masters would give me a better foundation and knowledge base. Would a Research Masters from Edinburgh have any advantage over a taught Masters from Glasgow?
    Both unis are well known in cardiovascular sciences. It really depends on whether or not you may be interested in research. I actually think a research masters isn't any worse than a taught masters for industry and it might even be better, but for research a research masters should be better.

If you are sure you want industry though a taught masters is shorter though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.