Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone do indoor rock climbing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There is a centre near me that offer an induction to allow you to use the wall, or a 5 week course... I don't know what the difference is yet.

But what's it like? Do you always have to turn up with someone else so you can take it in turns? Do you get to meet new people?

ReputationRep:
    There's two types of indoor rock climbing:

Bottom-roped climbing: Requires two people; walls can be very high; harness and rope needed; requires knowledge in tying some knots and belaying.

Bouldering: You don't need a partner; walls are short; no ropes or harness required.

If you don't know any friends that do rock climbing to teach you, then you should take the course to learn the stuff and meet new people. Also join any rock climbing clubs so you have people to go climbing.

Rock-climbing is an awesome sport and you can get quite a thrill from it. If your climbing centre has a bouldering wall, then it's also possible to meet people there to do some rope climbing.

ReputationRep:
    Did it the other day for the first time. Prepare your forearms and shoulders for pain.

You will meet a lot of new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Boy)
    There's two types of indoor rock climbing:

Bottom-roped climbing: Requires two people; walls can be very high; harness and rope needed; requires knowledge in tying some knots and belaying.

Bouldering: You don't need a partner; walls are short; no ropes or harness required.

If you don't know any friends that do rock climbing to teach you, then you should take the course to learn the stuff and meet new people. Also join any rock climbing clubs so you have people to go climbing.

Rock-climbing is an awesome sport and you can get quite a thrill from it. If your climbing centre has a bouldering wall, then it's also possible to meet people there to do some rope climbing.
    I'd start with bottom-roped climbing I think. They place near me has a 6 week course for it or a few hour induction.

(Original post by addylad)
    Did it the other day for the first time. Prepare your forearms and shoulders for pain.

You will meet a lot of new people.
    That's what I wanted to hear! I'd like to do it for the exercise but also to get new friends. I wasn't sure how 'social' it would be though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to. There's a place in Brighton but I've never had anyone to go with.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.