Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just a hypothesis about male and female relationships... Watch

This is just a hypothesis.

Let's just assume that we humans have successfully built a very peaceful and amicable society. And strict laws against rape, female infanticide and inequality has been enforced in the system. And let's just assume that women give birth to more girls than boys. Feminism is intensely active in most areas of the world. And any guy who even mildly abuses women (for their intolerable behaviour) is thrown into jail or get's severe penalties.

Will the dating scenario topple down and restructure itself into "Girl chasing guy" scenario?

Will there be increasing amounts of websites and books for women on how to attract men? And women struggling to find a guy for themselves. A partner?

Would like to hear your thoughts. This is just a hypothesis. Any personal attacks or trolls will not be tolerated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue that those restrictions would not necessarily change the common dynamics of attraction of which you speak. Though the changing of numerical competition may be interesting to see!

To do that, you would have to create a society in which the ideas, common generalisations, regarding the role and qualities of men and women, do not exist. The idea of men being the ones to go out and 'attract ladies', and vice versa, is a socially embedded idea.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so...
    Men have testosterone, women have oestrogen. It affects how people act. The changes you describe would go against the chemical makeup of people

(Original post by Sheepish153)
    I don't think so...
    Men have testosterone, women have oestrogen. It affects how people act. The changes you describe would go against the chemical makeup of people
    Both men and women have testosterone and oestrogen in their bodies. You can just say "Men have testosterone and women have oestrogen". The only difference is men have a higher testosterone level in them and women have a lot more oestrogen. And the changes that i described aren't going against anything. Right now, there are more males than females living in this world (only by a margin obviously). Even if you cancel words such as "peaceful and amicable society", the hypothetical scenario where there more women than men will propose an interesting dating game. And it's highly possible that there might be more women than men living in this world.

If there's scarcity of food? What do you do? You actively search for it. Your chemical make up or whatever doesn't matter. And if there's scarcity of men, then women definitely have to go around searching for men because libido's and your needs to form a relationship with a man is as strong as a man wanting a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Both men and women have testosterone and oestrogen in their bodies. You can just say "Men have testosterone and women have oestrogen". The only difference is men have a higher testosterone level in them and women have a lot more oestrogen. And the changes that i described aren't going against anything. Right now, there are more males than females living in this world (only by a margin obviously). Even if you cancel words such as "peaceful and amicable society", the hypothetical scenario where there more women than men will propose an interesting dating game. And it's highly possible that there might be more women than men living in this world.

If there's scarcity of food? What do you do? You actively search for it. Your chemical make up or whatever doesn't matter. And if there's scarcity of men, then women definitely have to go around searching for men because libido's and your needs to form a relationship with a man is as strong as a man wanting a woman.
    Ok, ignoring the whole hormone debate for the moment, what makes you think that there could be more women than men? If that happened, and it was at a large enough level to be noticeable, of course society would adapt. But I don't think the larger numbers of males is the main driving force behind how the sexes act towards each other.

(Original post by Sheepish153)
    Ok, ignoring the whole hormone debate for the moment, what makes you think that there could be more women than men? If that happened, and it was at a large enough level to be noticeable, of course society would adapt. But I don't think the larger numbers of males is the main driving force behind how the sexes act towards each other.
    Large number of males is contributing to the dating game. Now you know, that most women have more options than men. How? Well, since there are more males than females, men have to compete with one another, to get the girl. And the attitude of most women is such that, the man needs to make the first move. It has been proven by numerous studies and real life observations that women are way more shyer than men (in dating). The higher the amount of shyness in an individual, the more unconfident she feels. With this, we can also assume that women lack confidence (in the dating game).

Considering the points which i've made in the above paragraph, let's relate it to acquiring food. When you have Asda's, Sainsbury's and all sorts of market's where food is sold in abundance, you're less and less reluctant to go search for it some far away area. Because you think it's too tiring and you don't feel the need to do it. But what happens when there's scarcity of food in your locality and almost all over the world. You would even travel miles, to fill your belly. That's your only main goal.

So seemingly, as how shy and elite (I have high standards and i want a man to come to me to ask me out and i won't date a guy who does not meet my criteria) women show themselves to be (for now). In a situation where they don't have men falling on their feet and as there might be less and less men existing in this world. You'd feel the need to get more confident and active to attain a man. Do you get my point?

And yes, i have done some research. And my observation indicates, that there is a very high possibility that there might be more women than men living in this world. And if this happens, the dating scenario quite possibility might change.

Sorry for the long post

ReputationRep:
    Large number of males is contributing to the dating game. Now you know, that most women have more options than men. How? Well, since there are more males than females, men have to compete with one another, to get the girl. And the attitude of most women is such that, the man needs to make the first move. It has been proven by numerous studies and real life observations that women are way more shyer than men (in dating). The higher the amount of shyness in an individual, the more unconfident she feels. With this, we can also assume that women lack confidence (in the dating game).

Considering the points which i've made in the above paragraph, let's relate it to acquiring food. When you have Asda's, Sainsbury's and all sorts of market's where food is sold in abundance, you're less and less reluctant to go search for it some far away area. Because you think it's too tiring and you don't feel the need to do it. But what happens when there's scarcity of food in your locality and almost all over the world. You would even travel miles, to fill your belly. That's your only main goal.

So seemingly, as how shy and elite (I have high standards and i want a man to come to me to ask me out and i won't date a guy who does not meet my criteria) women show themselves to be (for now). In a situation where they don't have men falling on their feet and as there might be less and less men existing in this world. You'd feel the need to get more confident and active to attain a man. Do you get my point?

And yes, i have done some research. And my observation indicates, that there is a very high possibility that there might be more women than men living in this world. And if this happens, the dating scenario quite possibility might change.

Sorry for the long post
    I get your point but again I don't think it's a main driving force. Men have higher levels of testosterone, think about sex more than women and generally have a higher urge to procreate. It may simply boil down to the fact that men can produce offspring whenever they want but women have a monthly cycle with only a certain window of time when they can become pregnant. It's more to do with the way we are biologically wired than social circumstances.
    Also, as far as I have heard there are always more males born than women (100 females for 107 men, although this is subject to debate in the scientific community). Plus in India and China, countries with very large populations in regards to the global total, people often deliberately abort female foetuses because they are a financial burden in that country and China's one child law mean that if parents have a daughter they will have no one to look after them when they are older. Therefore all things considered, perhaps in your locality there may be a shortage of men, but overall it is much more likely that women are in the minority and I don't see that changing for some time.

You're looking at the present statistics. I'm discussing about a hypothesis. You're derailing from the topic and giving me sex ratios. Which part of "hypothesis between male and female relationships" confused you? And do you think sex is the only thing that drives partners to form relationships? Then this clearly shows that you're shallow. Im talking about "relationships". And relationships areNt built on sex. Sex is just a part of it. It's not the only driving force. Of coarse men are sexually more charged than women, but I don't think my hypothesis gives women a better chance to form "relationships".

I'm just saying there might be a time when there might be more women than men living in this world. And this is just my observation. Observations are in no way the final verdict. And you sprouting crap like "in your locality there may be a shortage of men" only enforces the fact that I'm talking to an immature woman who is unable to carry an argument properly without belittling and making snarky comments.

And you giving me ratios of only two countries shows how you ignore other countries. In countries like South Africa and Spain there are more women than men.

And there are 102 males per 100 females. Total population by sex in 2013.

ReputationRep:
    This is just a hypothesis.

Let's just assume that we humans have successfully built a very peaceful and amicable society. And strict laws against rape, female infanticide and inequality has been enforced in the system. And let's just assume that women give birth to more girls than boys. Feminism is intensely active in most areas of the world. And any guy who even mildly abuses women (for their intolerable behaviour) is thrown into jail or get's severe penalties.

Will the dating scenario topple down and restructure itself into "Girl chasing guy" scenario?

Will there be increasing amounts of websites and books for women on how to attract men? And women struggling to find a guy for themselves. A partner?

Would like to hear your thoughts. This is just a hypothesis. Any personal attacks or trolls will not be tolerated. Thanks.

Your mask slipped at "intolerable behaviour".

ReputationRep:
    If you want to talk about a hypothetical scenario where men and women were seen and treated largely as equals, and it was as easy for an average looking man to pull as it was for an average looking woman, you're talking about life in UK universities about 10 years ago before the misogynists took over and ruined everything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.