The Student Room Group

Parents' income for 2012/13 does not reflect this years (one parent out of work)

After receiving my entitlement letter for this academic year I was a little bit concerned as it's the lowest amount I will be receiving through my 3 years at uni and there's no major difference in my parents' income from the years needed for my first year and this year coming up (I think income details for 2012/2013 were required this year?).
On top of that one of my parents is actually out of work at the moment and will be for a considerable amount of time due to illness, and so their income figure from 12/13 doesn't reflect how well my parents will be able to support me this year.
3rd year is looking to be the most expensive for me, the price of my accommodation has increased, living further away from campus means I'll need to purchase an annual travel-card, costs of graduation, plus there are many extras I need to pay for for my course this year such as printing and binding services which at my university can be quite costly if you want it done well.
I've already been looking at my expenses for the year and what money I'll receive and it looks as though I'll be going well into my overdraft. With one of parents being out of work now, I know I won't be receiving much financial support as the house will be running on one person's wages and so was wondering whether I could claim for any extra loan/grant, given that my parent's income this year is going to be considerably different to 12/13 now that one is completely out of work.
Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation to this and could offer any suggestions.
Reply 1
:confused:
Hello

If you are in your final year then your loan amount would be reduced. This is the same for all students, as we no longer fund you through the summer months when your exams are complete.

If your total household income has reduced by 15% from the 12/13 year, your parents can send us a current year income form filled out by both of them. They would estimate the income they will earn this year, we will ask for evidence to finalise this when the tax year ends. As long as the income has dropped by 15% we can reassess you on the estimates. The form is available here: http://bit.ly/LN6hwH

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending