Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I don't want to take my real passport out with me, and I was wondering if clubs and the like will accept an expired passport? The picture is from 2008 and it only expired this time last year. The corner is chopped off.

ReputationRep:
    They have every right to reject it, although i'm guessing some places probably won't pay too much attention. Depends where you are, so I probably wouldn't risk it.

Get a provisional license, or something like a Citizen Card I think works, but is cheaper again.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    In Glasgow I've never had it accepted as they know people are more likely to give underagers expired passports than their current ones. Don't know what it's like where you live though but if it's a big city I'd assume it'd be similar. Just get a provisional, even if you don't plan on driving, less hassle and less money to replace if lost.
    (Original post by emma7645)
    Hey, I don't want to take my real passport out with me, and I was wondering if clubs and the like will accept an expired passport? The picture is from 2008 and it only expired this time last year. The corner is chopped off.

ReputationRep:
    Mine expired in 2011 and I've still used it as proof of age since in pubs and supermarkets with no problem. I don't go clubbing anymore so I don't know if they'd be stricter. I also suggest getting a provisional, Citizen Cards are cheaper but I've heard that not many places accept them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely if they notice the expiry date or not and if they care that it's expired. Most of the time though they are more concerned with looking at your photo and DOB.

ReputationRep:
    Citizen cards are not accepted as a valid form of ID in most, if not all places (they certainly aren't in the South). Expired forms of ID are generally not accepted for clubs, and definitely won't be if the card/passport is scanned.

Besides, you're better off purchasing a provisional rather than purchasing a more expensive and riskier passport.

ReputationRep:
    They should accept it. I know in London they have accepted a number of expired passports. It's safer to carry around than your actual passport as well (if you don't have a driving license). My boyfriend got into a club using a passport that expired in 1999 - he actually managed to use a primary school photo to get in. There was a little tiff at the door, but they let him in! This is what happens when you're rushing last minute and bring ID without looking at the photo. Was hilarious at the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.