The Student Room Group

Depop vs Ebay

Wasn't sure if it went in this thread or fashion
Anyways, which would be the better out if the two to get rid of my excessive wardrobe and a little extra cash
Although eBay is a larger platform, I've delisted items on more than a few occasions and was rather annoyed when I received a fiver do brand new (still had tags on) ck jeans
Although depop is a fixed price, they are more to pay a little extra
(And I always start my Ebay auctions at 0.99 regardless of items)
Anyone with experience with both have any suggestions

Posted from TSR Mobile
I dont have experience with depop, so I can't give an opinion on them. I would use the one which has the most traffic, that's just me.
You could have a small experiment with both of them and see which service suits you the best - put branded clothes on depop if you want a decent price and other stuff on ebay if you just wanna get rid off.

Hope this helps
I've never even heard of depop before, which would make me wary of using it... Perhaps test it a few items you don't care about quite so much or aren't selling on ebay?
I would also suggest putting your ebay prices up - in my experience, things like clothes, books, etc. don't attract loads of bidders on ebay - so you don't get the bidding war to bring the price up. Start with a price you would be happy to get for the item - as it is very possible that only one person will bid. You can also try 'buy it now' at a higher price as sometimes people who want an item quickly or can't be bothered by the stress of bidding will search for only buy it now items. Also, make sure you are doing all the simple things like putting up a good photo of the item (unless it's a high value item there's generally no point paying for multiple photos or a large image) and describing it clearly, giving all the relevant info (nothing puts people off like forgetting simple info like the size of an item of clothing).

Keep an eye out for the ebay free listing days (generally every few weekends) so you don't have to pay to list your items unless you actually sell them. You can also use tricks like listing items on these free listing weekends for one day listings (starting on the first day, e.g. Saturday) then you have the chance to relist the next day and still for free :smile: Ebay is now taking a percentage (20%?) of postage fees, so you can't get around their fees by maxing out on postage which is a bit annoying - so make sure you calculate the cost of postage correctly including their fee so you don't end up losing money.

Quick Reply

Latest