The Student Room Group

Help I'm underweight and I want to gain some!!!

My stats:
5'10
105 pounds
24.5 inch waist
bmi: 15.9

Background:
I don't eat fried food, I mostly eat very heathy (4 kinds of fruit, 3 kinds of vegetable). For meat I eat fish mainly and beef, rarely pork(just don't like it nothing special). For grain I eat rice 3 meals and bread before sleep. For milk I drink 2 cups, maybe 3 if you include my afternoon coffee.

is there anything wrong with my diet?
What can I do to gain weight?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
24.5 waist? Damn..

Umm its easy, just find out what your mantainance calories are using an online calculator just gotta put in your stats and then eat above your mantainance about 300-500 calories more n you will gain weight quite quickly if you keep at it.
Original post by a10
24.5 waist? Damn..

Umm its easy, just find out what your mantainance calories are using an online calculator just gotta put in your stats and then eat above your mantainance about 300-500 calories more n you will gain weight quite quickly if you keep at it.

I know, my friends joked about me saying that god did everything right EXCEPT assigning the gender. My body is sufficient to be a model if I was female...

so what should I eat more?
Reply 3
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
I know, my friends joked about me saying that god did everything right EXCEPT assigning the gender. My body is sufficient to be a model if I was female...

so what should I eat more?

Try to eat healthy and only have junk food ocassionally (but don't pig out lol). Youre basically not eating enough calories (aka stuff which your body burns for energy) get the "myfitnesspal" app if you have a smart phone and use that to keep track of your calories once you know your goal.

For example if your calculated mantainance calories from the online calculator say somethinf like 1900calories then you should be eating 2200-2400 calories (i.e. 300-500more calories) i hope this makes some sort of sense..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Add nuts! And olive oils to your meals! Peanut butter/tahini is high in calowies and healthy. Eat a lot of it!
maybe go to the gym and buy whey- you should gain some muscles if you try bodybuilding..
Reply 5
Jusy f**kin eat dude. You're 105lbs! When i say eat i mean eat.

Even if you eat healthy, eat more healthy stuff.

Load up on carbs and fats. Healthy fats. Complex Carbs.

Hell buy a weight gainer and i hate suggesting them!
Reply 6
GOMAD - gallon of milk a day. You'll put on weight in no time, fat yes, but at least you won't be 105lbs

Eat as well, eat everything
Hey man,

I mentioned this in a seperate thread on here but here is the simplified facts of any weight gain or weight loss:

Your body has a fixed amount of calories it requires to sustain itself. If you are neither gaining weight nor losing weight, this amount is likely to be what your daily intake is now.

If you eat more calories than your body requires, you'll gain weight as stored fat, if you eat less, you'll lose weight as fat and muscle is burnt for energy.

For now, track what your daily intake is in calories without changing anything to find out the base amount of calories you body requires. Do this for a week, 2 weeks to be accurate. Generally the amount your eating each day should all be within 100 kcals of each other, you may have a sparse spike on odd days. This is your standard set calorie amount. To gain weight, aim to chuck about 500kcals on top of this per day.

So without even going to the gym, you'll steadily gain weight by this theory.

If you do go to the gym, things get a little more complicated. When your lifting weights, you'll be burning calories. So your standard set amount of calories per day should go up to account for burnt calories. Your body will also have different requirements, such as requiring more protein to help repair your muscles after a weights session.

So you can adjust your diet accordingly, from the sounds of it, your diet is nigh spot on, you just need to eat more. Keep with the Chicken (breast), beef and fish for protein sources, I'd reccomend a form of protein powder for after the gym as this will be greatly beneficial for the anabolic hour after weight training when your muscles will want protein (personally my preference is the Phd Pharma Gain blend or Optimum Nutrition Gold standard whey, but it depend on your preferences, everyone works a little differently).

Stick with the rice and pasta, sweet potato is anothrr good carb. Baked potatoes have their benefits too.

Most importantly, Vegtables. Broccoli, asparagus, peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach, carrots etc.. get a good mix in daily. Aim for a good mix of fruit, banana smoothies are the way forward in my oppinion.

From there, you should gain some good, healthy weight. Obviously do some more of your own research into the area, but that's a simplified version of weight gaining.

There's some more information and motivation on my blog:

beremarkableorbeforgotten.blogspot.com

Or feel free to pm me for any other info.
(edited 9 years ago)
tfw when not even big and almost double your weight

OP eat lots, lift heavy and lift often.
Hey Wilson, I'm new here but I just found your post. My story is quite similar to yours and what I learnt is that there is a lot of bad advice out there. Many will tell you things like "just eat" which is true but theres a way you can go about it which is much easier.

Briefly here is my story. I'm 6ft5 I used to weigh about 150lb three years ago I was SUPER skinny. But I got training and now im about 210lb. It would be awesome if you started training as that would make you see results super quick. But here's what I did. I found a recipe for a homemade weight gainer shake like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhf8kmqLEA and I made it twice a day. Once at breakfast once at night before bed.

Within about a month I could see I was putting weight on, I had more energy and my skin had more colour in it because I was getting so much vitamins (this might not be your case because it sounds as if you get your fruit and veg in already) A shake like that taken on top of your current diet will help you out greatly.

Like I said before many will tell you things like "just eat everything you can" but the problem with that is that you'd be forcing stuff down. It's not easy if you don't have the appetite and can make you feel sick so I doubt you would be able to keep it up. With a good milkshake recipe it can be taken and not disrupt you being in the mood to eat. That shake in the video is about 1300 calories which is high, you can add or remove things from it. The one I make every morning is 1000. It tastes really good so you wont dread having it at all.

I worked out my BMR which is my basic modal rate. It shows you how many calories you need per day to stay at your current weight and how many to put on some weight. My daily calorie allowance is 3100. So with 2x that shake I'm already at 2000.

And i'd say try starting some form of training so you pack on some muscle too. I wouldnt say go and join a gym right away. Just start off with some press ups. Aim to do 10 a day then 15 a day then 20 and so on and with the shake you will start adding muscle to your frame.

I hope my essay has helped haha I wish you all the best. If you want any more advice from someone who has been through your situation I would be more than happy to help you further.
Original post by kthmaxwell
Hey Wilson, I'm new here but I just found your post. My story is quite similar to yours and what I learnt is that there is a lot of bad advice out there. Many will tell you things like "just eat" which is true but theres a way you can go about it which is much easier.

Briefly here is my story. I'm 6ft5 I used to weigh about 150lb three years ago I was SUPER skinny. But I got training and now im about 210lb. It would be awesome if you started training as that would make you see results super quick. But here's what I did. I found a recipe for a homemade weight gainer shake like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhf8kmqLEA and I made it twice a day. Once at breakfast once at night before bed.

Within about a month I could see I was putting weight on, I had more energy and my skin had more colour in it because I was getting so much vitamins (this might not be your case because it sounds as if you get your fruit and veg in already) A shake like that taken on top of your current diet will help you out greatly.

Like I said before many will tell you things like "just eat everything you can" but the problem with that is that you'd be forcing stuff down. It's not easy if you don't have the appetite and can make you feel sick so I doubt you would be able to keep it up. With a good milkshake recipe it can be taken and not disrupt you being in the mood to eat. That shake in the video is about 1300 calories which is high, you can add or remove things from it. The one I make every morning is 1000. It tastes really good so you wont dread having it at all.

I worked out my BMR which is my basic modal rate. It shows you how many calories you need per day to stay at your current weight and how many to put on some weight. My daily calorie allowance is 3100. So with 2x that shake I'm already at 2000.

And i'd say try starting some form of training so you pack on some muscle too. I wouldnt say go and join a gym right away. Just start off with some press ups. Aim to do 10 a day then 15 a day then 20 and so on and with the shake you will start adding muscle to your frame.

I hope my essay has helped haha I wish you all the best. If you want any more advice from someone who has been through your situation I would be more than happy to help you further.

Thank you ill work on it. :biggrin:
You don't even eat chicken? :lolwut:

R u human?

Quick Reply

Latest