Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Degree in Primary Education (BA Hons) or Education and Social Science (BA Hons)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

So, ever since Summer Holidays has started, and anxiously waiting for my AS results, I've had my heart set on being a Primary School Teacher for a long, long time. However, part of me I believe has always been doubtful, sort of telling me.. "Are you sure?".. and that voice has gotten to me. I recently stumbled across a post about Primary Education a few days ago, and the student was talking about getting an offer from another university about a different course: Education and Social Science. I looked it up, and while reading it I thought "This is exactly something I would love". I absolutely love sociology, and from reading more about social science, It really just feels like this course was made for me.

However, I tell people this and they're like "Nah, you're just getting anxious about results and you're doubting yourself and choosing different courses because you don't want to fail".. and hearing that, I think "..Maybe your right..", but gosh, I just can't stop thinking about this course.

It sucks for me, because Primary Education is a course I've wanted for AGES. I've visited Uni's about this course, you know? So much preparation has been surrounding this career, my Extended Project, my volunteer work all the way from Year 10, my love for children since I left Primary School. So naturally, thinking about something that doesn't dive into Primary teaching makes me think "No no.. this isn't right.", but how come I'm fascinated with the course? Why can't I shake it off? Is it a phase?

I'm really writing just to sort of let some steam out. I'd really love to hear your thoughts though. I want to get started with my personal statement but how can I when I'm just not feeling passionate right now?

What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Emma,

I would say follow your instinct and go with what feels right. Going to University is an exciting time and something you should try to enjoy every step of the way.

I would perhaps try speaking with the course tutors for the courses you are interested in, so you can get more of a feel for what you'll be studying. I work with a new course called Applied Social Science where you take lots of different modules in the social sciences in the first year, choose a major and minor subject in your second year and then choose one subject for your final year. One of the subjects is Education, Culture and Childhood - which would fit with your initial interest in becoming a primary school teacher, but you could explore the other social science subjects as you study too. You'll come out with a BA in Applied Social Science with Education, Culture and Childhood.

Happy to give you more info if you like, but I hope this helps you to make a decision.

Best wishes

Hazel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.