Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graphic Design Course - DSA Recommendations Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I have searched through the threads but couldn't find one that was relevant.

I am starting a Graphic Design Foundation degree in September and I have applied for DSA as I have a severe anxiety disorder coupled with Depression.

I am 28 and have been diagnosed for the last 14 years.

To cut a long story short, I had my needs assessment today and it didn't go too well.

My doctor clearly stated that I will need to work from home for periods of time and so I would need help with equipment to make that possible.

My assessor has recommended a low end windows based laptop which he said would not be able to run the Adobe suite and even after I said to him that I have always been Mac based he said that I would have to adjust.

Is it me or is it really weird that even though I'm on a graphics heavy course they have reccomended a low end word processor that frankly will be useless to me.

Anyone had any experience with this? What should I do?
    I dont have a computer and now feel like I may get behind on work due to my illness which I thought DSA was there to help with.

Dan:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Your assessor will have recommended either a standard DSA WKH (workhorse) or CREATIVE laptop. Due to changes at SFE Mac's cannot be recommended unless the course leader confirms that the course is solely Mac based. If your course uses only Adobe software which is windows based your assessor would be unable to recommend anything else as there would be no justification. If you want a Mac you can pay the extra cost to the supplier.

As a DSA assessor I regularly hear students saying, 'well my friend had XX last year'. Rules change and people's needs are different so the justification for recommendations is different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.