Turn on thread page Beta

Police Caution/ effect on possible employment? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Stop worrying.

1) you don't have a criminal record and
    2) How old were you when you were cautioned? If you were a minor then I think it is 'spent' when you turn 18.
    I was 19/20 when I was cautioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Do you know if NFA (no further action) reports are kept by the police?
    NFA reports are kept by the police. Several years ago someone I know was malliciously accused of allsorts in an attempt to discredit them, none of it was true.

When the person in question recently had to do an advanced disclosure form (they work in the medical profession) it all showed up.

ReputationRep:
    If you already have your offer from your university and so theres no chance of them revoking it then I would consider contacting your uni and asking them whether this could potentially damage your career opportunities. If you dont want to mention it to the uni which would be understandable then perhaps approach your local careers advisor or citizens advice bureau either of which should either know or be able to find out whether it could be a potential problem. Most application forms I've found in my experience asked about criminal convictions not cautions but it is certainly worth being aware of your options before you do a lengthy law course. i believe it would be highly unfair of anyone to hold something like that against you because obviously you have no control over who makes an allegation against you and there was obviously no substance in the allegation as the police would have prosecuted if they thought it was a worthy case, but I would definitely find out the position before you enter into a law course. Did you see a solicitor at the time of the allegation? If you did and they know your circumstances it might be worth asking them.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who has been following this thread -

Rang The Law Society today.

Got through to someone who could help me and asked the question whilst trembling in the fear that my legal career may be over before it has even started.

Got put on hold (for what seemed like an eternity although it was more like half a minute) before it was explained to me that a caution would not normally affect an applicant and only criminal convictions would drastically reduce my chances of admission.
    She said that there was an "adjudicator" who looked into people with criminal backgrounds but as I only recieved a caution my file would not even have to get looked into. It was implied that even some people with lesser criminal convictions would be considered for admission.

So basically I think that I am in the clear, I will just have to make sure that I dont get involved in anything stupid over the next few years and I will be fine !!!

And hey - if for some reason I dont get admitted I could probably sue them.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.