Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, starting school direct this year. Feeling a bit nervous as not quite sure what to expect. Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone that has previously gone for the school direct route have any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same here. However my first placement is a school where ive been a TA for the past 3 years. Anyone else experienced this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing the salaried route? I dont have much school experience at all. Must just interview well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting School Direct in September too, no experience of education in the UK but did a year teaching ESL in Korea. Not sure what to expect as yet but hopefully it'll be a decent year in a supportive school.

What subject is everyone doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebolt11)
    Are you doing the salaried route? I dont have much school experience at all. Must just interview well

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes salaried route. Im doing primary special needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, can anyone help me? i'm in the middle of applying for a school direct program with keele (super late i know), i was told there were still positions when I initially applied in late june, i'm still waiting on my 2nd reference (ugh!) and i feel completely lost and clueless about the application. keele hasn't really given me any details on what i need to do...i've just booked my lit and num tests for later this month, but can't have my app submitted until my reference is completed which is frustrating. do you think i'll still have a chance to interview and get everything done or is it too little too late? do school direct programs start at the beginning on the school year (early sept) or uni year (late sept). Any advice/help you can offer would be much appreciated. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting schools direct secondary in September I'm pretty nervous too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattxtopher)
    hey guys, can anyone help me? i'm in the middle of applying for a school direct program with keele (super late i know), i was told there were still positions when I initially applied in late june, i'm still waiting on my 2nd reference (ugh!) and i feel completely lost and clueless about the application. keele hasn't really given me any details on what i need to do...i've just booked my lit and num tests for later this month, but can't have my app submitted until my reference is completed which is frustrating. do you think i'll still have a chance to interview and get everything done or is it too little too late? do school direct programs start at the beginning on the school year (early sept) or uni year (late sept). Any advice/help you can offer would be much appreciated. thanks.
    Mine starts on the first of September (two teacher training days).
    Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattxtopher)
    I have an interview for a schools direct place on Monday. I know how you feel about the references, I missed out the first place I applied as the references took two weeks and they closed the course!
    If there are places left they will want to fill them. My main concern is passing the numeracy skills test!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy bilo)
    Yes salaried route. Im doing primary special needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Primary Special needs is my dream course although there doesn't seem to be many.

How was the application process?

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting school direct on the 1st of September also, just starting to feel a bit nervous now as it's fast approaching! Not really sure what to expect really, apart from that it's going to be intense! Looking forward to the challenge tho where are you all based?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im in Nantwich Cheshire area.
    Offered a place on the Schools direct (not salaried, can't find one) and passed the literacy test. Its all hanging on the numeracy which I have to go to Stockport to do on the 28th. No time for a resit if i fail!
    I've worked as a T.A for four years so not too worried about whats expected.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a lot of pressure to be under! Good luck for the numeracy test I'm on the salaried route, was the only option I had as a mature student with hungry mouths to feed. I think getting a place on any of the training routes is a big achievement in itself, due to the amount of applicants. I am going through sunderland university, quite looking forward to been a student again

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation as you. Im a mature single parent with two children and will have to give up my job to do this course and borrow lots of money to pay the fees, but Im thinking long term.
    Did you have to do the skills tests?
    Ive been to night school for the last two years getting the two GCSEs that I needed. Im a bit apprehensive about being a student as i will be the oldest there!

ReputationRep:
    I've handed in my notice at work, I finish on Friday! Taken a few weeks off to get prepared before I start. It will be worth it in the long run for you, and your children I think it's great! It's amazing the financial help that is available for mature students with children, as it is mostly burserys which don't need to be paid back. I'm married so luckily have financial support, and the salary from the school direct. He I've done the skills tests, I had to have mine completed by May 1st so didn't have lots of time to study, I really struggled with the maths and had to practise every night for months lol

ReputationRep:
    Ive got four years experience of being a T.A , teaching classes and planning regularly but there doesn't seem to be any salaried places in Cheshire. Very unfair as its just what I need as a single parent! Theres no help apart from loans, so will have to borrow an awful lot of money to get through the year.
    im practising every day for a cpl of hours for the maths and hope I will pass otherwise I will lose my place. I didn't apply till very late so its all my fault really!! Im keeping everything crossed!

ReputationRep:
    You have plenty of experience so that should give you a really good head start. I really struggled with the maths and got a shock when I passed first time best tip I got was to know the times tables inside out and back to front, that helped me a lot with the mental section. Have u looked into the adult dependants grant? That is a grant and doesn't need to be repaid, I got that whilst at Uni and it really helped with my finances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophsmum)
    Theres no help apart from loans, so will have to borrow an awful lot of money to get through the year.
    im practising every day for a cpl of hours for the maths and hope I will pass otherwise I will lose my place. I didn't apply till very late so its all my fault really!! Im keeping everything crossed!
    What subject are you training to teach? You may be eligible for the government bursary scheme. I got 4k to train last year.

Depending on your household income you could also be eligible for a maintenance grant as well as a maintenance loan through student finance.

I don't know much about bursaries for those with dependants, but I am certain they exist. Your university may have their own bursary scheme as well for low income, students with families etc. Worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing general primary. Yep its all worth looking into. I won't get a bursary as my degree class isn't good enough! I did ask the uni but they said as its a postgrad cert I won't be able to get any help. I've applied through the correct channels so will wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke_2112)
    Primary Special needs is my dream course although there doesn't seem to be many.

How was the application process?
    Fairly straight forward! I spent a morning in a special needs school, not teaching, just helping out, i then had to do a reflective writing task on the morning then i had an interview with three headteachers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.