Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just started a new job and been to the induction and had my first shift and hate it, I'm not appropriate for the job role at all. I've already applied for other jobs and if I get an interview they wouldn't let me attend since I have to work 5 days a week 8:30 to 5:30 and every Saturday.

I'm not stereo-typically a quitter, its a just a case of making the wrong choice. I signed the contract in the induction and I was rushed and didn't get to properly read it. I think it said I have to give 1 weeks notice, but I don't know if that's to be after a month. I dont even want to hand a notice in as I dont want to even do another shift, its performance related in sales and Im sure they would get rid of me anyway.

Would I be able to send a polite email and quit? Could I then just not the job on my next CV and not put them on a reference list for my next job so it wouldnt hurt me, also am I not entitled to pay for the hours I have worked?

You can do whatever you want, but you might lose out on some pay if you quit without notice. Also, you would have to leave them off any CV.

ReputationRep:
      Depends on the terms of your employment contract regarding notice and leaving.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      The basic position is there is no requirement to give notice before 1 month has passed, however your contract may state otherwise.

There's not really anything they will realistically do to stop you (in theory they can injunct you for the notice period, but this is only ever a practical option for senior staff) other than provide a poor reference.

You are entitled to pay, the cost of getting it out of them if they refuse is almost certainly disproportionate to the sum.

ReputationRep:
      Ive worked 1 shift and an induction which they said we got paid for, I know it said on the contract that I would obviously not be entitled to any bonus. But surely I am still entitled to the pay for the hours that I have worked, do you think they will try not pay me and is it worth pursuing? Many thanks
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bradderz95)
      Ive worked 1 shift and an induction which they said we got paid for, I know it said on the contract that I would obviously not be entitled to any bonus. But surely I am still entitled to the pay for the hours that I have worked, do you think they will try not pay me and is it worth pursuing? Many thanks
      An unpaid wages claim is a 'Type A' Employment Tribuunal claim. The fee for making such a claim is £160, even if you do all the legal work yourself. Whether that's worth pursuing is your call.

If I were them I'd be tempted because I'd figure I'll get away with it, but not everyone will take that approach.

ReputationRep:
      I've quit a few jobs after one shift/day knowing they weren't right for me. But I've never asked for payment. I consider when I've already wasted their time and incurred them the cost of recruiting somebody new, I'm not going to then leave on even worse terms by asking for money. It's only one day after all.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Le Nombre)
      An unpaid wages claim is a 'Type A' Employment Tribuunal claim. The fee for making such a claim is £160, even if you do all the legal work yourself. Whether that's worth pursuing is your call.

If I were them I'd be tempted because I'd figure I'll get away with it, but not everyone will take that approach.
      Just try it out for a while you might like it, there are many people treated like crap by job centres who are begging for jobs but can't get them, mine isn't the best tbh, not compared to my last job which was within the same organisation and even I was applying for other jobs within 2 weeks as I found my job depressing and hated the people, but I adjusted and got to know people better and the way management worked in the role and I am ok now, try riding it out for at least a month before making such a decision.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bradderz95)
      I've just started a new job and been to the induction and had my first shift and hate it, I'm not appropriate for the job role at all. I've already applied for other jobs and if I get an interview they wouldn't let me attend since I have to work 5 days a week 8:30 to 5:30 and every Saturday.

I'm not stereo-typically a quitter, its a just a case of making the wrong choice. I signed the contract in the induction and I was rushed and didn't get to properly read it. I think it said I have to give 1 weeks notice, but I don't know if that's to be after a month. I dont even want to hand a notice in as I dont want to even do another shift, its performance related in sales and Im sure they would get rid of me anyway.

Would I be able to send a polite email and quit? Could I then just not the job on my next CV and not put them on a reference list for my next job so it wouldnt hurt me, also am I not entitled to pay for the hours I have worked?
      Could you try and stick it out. You have only dont 1 shift, once you have got used to it, it might not be as bad.

ReputationRep:
      Hello I've been working part time , less than 21 hours a week for two weeks in an admin. Job at a estate agent , but want to quit without giving any notice, I have not been paid for any work as yet and my boss told me I have to invoice them after a months work. Can I just email and leave without any notice ? Want to leave because Boss was bullying a female member of staff and also he is very right wing and bigoted !
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by DavidaH)
      Hello I've been working part time , less than 21 hours a week for two weeks in an admin. Job at a estate agent , but want to quit without giving any notice, I have not been paid for any work as yet and my boss told me I have to invoice them after a months work. Can I just email and leave without any notice ? Want to leave because Boss was bullying a female member of staff and also he is very right wing and bigoted !
      If you have to invoice them, it sounds like you are self-employed and providing a service to them, rather than you being an employee.

If that is the case or not, you need to check your contract with them carefully. If you are self-employed, it will probably be a lot more difficult for you to claim the money you are owed from them as you will probably be in breach of contract.

But if you are self-employed it is probably going to be easy for you to leave and have little repercussions. The only one is that you there is a risk that you probably won't be paid for the last two weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.