Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that I won't have met my offer for Oxford (A*AA) but I have been told to phone Oxford anyway on results day to see if they'll take me. I have a couple of questions though. Should I contact the college that I applied to, or the university's central admissions department? Also, what sort of things should I bring up to try and persuade them? Thanks in advance for any replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps321)
    I'm sure that I won't have met my offer for Oxford (A*AA) but I have been told to phone Oxford anyway on results day to see if they'll take me. I have a couple of questions though. Should I contact the college that I applied to, or the university's central admissions department? Also, what sort of things should I bring up to try and persuade them? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    You'd want to contact the college, they are the ones who make the decisions. But I'd suggest there's very little point doing so. Take a look at this thread from last year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2426767

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    You'd want to contact the college, they are the ones who make the decisions. But I'd suggest there's very little point doing so. Take a look at this thread from last year: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2426767
    Isn't it a bit different if you receive an offer but miss it, rather than calling the college on results day despite having been rejected post-interview? I agree that the latter sounds pretty pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartdjokovic)
    Isn't it a bit different if you receive an offer but miss it, rather than calling the college on results day despite having been rejected post-interview? I agree that the latter sounds pretty pointless.
    Oops, I hadn't noticed that's what the other thread was about. Thanks for pointing that out!

So on one level it's worth a try, you haven't got much to loose.

But on the other hand, the chances of a phone call affecting anything are very slim. They will have got your results the weekend before. They have to take everyone who makes their offer. Then they sort out where people who met open offers are going. And then they can consider if they want to take people who missed their offers. Exactly how this happens varies by college. Some seem to have blanket policies that they always so no. At other colleges it will be a more complex process, considering how many spaces they have (making sure each person has enough tutor attention, that there are enough rooms to house people in, etc) alongside how narrowly the results were missed, and information from application process. Hopefully by the time you get your results, this decision will be available to you on UCAS. If it says you've been rejected, that's the decision. But if the result isn't waiting for you on UCAS, the decision has probably already been made. But this could be the time to ring, to ask what they've decided. But the admissions secretary you phone won't be the person who makes the very final decision (that will be academics). So you can try, but they'll already have been thinking about it for three days, and will probably have already decided.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ps321)
    I think it's worth a call, as long as UCAS Track hasn't already changed to Unsuccessful. My friend missed her AAA offer (Got A*AB) and she phoned up the college who said they'd get back to her as soon as possible with a decision. Eventually they let her in. I'd only try this if you narrowly missed the offer though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. I probably will try it, but I'm already resigned to the fact that I didn't do well enough and that I won't get in.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to a member of admissions staff this week who told me the worst part of their year is answering the phone on results days, telling people who missed their offers the bad news...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I spoke to a member of admissions staff this week who told me the worst part of their year is answering the phone on results days, telling people who missed their offers the bad news...
    I feel that will be me aha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.