Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have completed my BSc (3 years) in the UK and now going on to take MSc in Sept. Someone told me that I can get my fee status changed to home student if I have studied in the UK for three years ? I have never heard that before but just to be sure so I am not missing out on anything, Is it possible ?
    They asked me to message the dean of the uni I have applied to and ask for a grant or fee reduction .... :confused:?

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it.

Home means you have to be resident in UK NOT for the purposes of study for last 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    I have read so myself. Maybe they meant three years of schooling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amc21)
    Thanks.
    I have read so myself. Maybe they meant three years of schooling.
    Hmmm, doubt it .

School = study, your pre degree stay has to be free of conditions, if you are on a student visa of any sort then you have conditions attached to your stay.

Think your uni is trying not to lose you as a student so they are trying anything they can to take your fees.

ReputationRep:
    The 3 years residency rule only works if you came to the UK for a reason other than education. If you came here specifically to go to uni then you will never attain Home status for fees/funding.

It's always worth a punt - sending an email takes no time at all - but I wouldn't hold out much (if any) hope.

ReputationRep:
    If you are on a student visa then you will have to pay overseas fee even if you have stayed in UK for 8 years on student visa. I think after spending 10 years on student visa you can get PR, and then you can pay home fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by universal_set)
    If you are on a student visa then you will have to pay overseas fee even if you have stayed in UK for 8 years on student visa. I think after spending 10 years on student visa you can get PR, and then you can pay home fee.
    Thanks,
    lets hope I don't have to stay for 10 years on a student visa lol hoping to complete my studies within 4 years time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amc21)
    Thanks,
    lets hope I don't have to stay for 10 years on a student visa lol hoping to complete my studies within 4 years time
    TBH, I don't know too much about student visa (or any other UK visa). I googled and passed the information to you

You should check it with the university & UKBA.

All the best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.