Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who should be the next England captain? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who should be the new England captain?
    Wayne Rooney
    14.29%
    Leighton Baines
    14.29%
    Joe Hart
    23.81%
    Other
    47.62%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has told the press that Wayne Rooney should be named the new captain.

Rooney would rank low in the players I believe would display the correct leadership for an England side.

I think it should be between Leighton Baines and Joe Hart - and I'd rather Rickie Lambert over Rooney.

Who do you think should captain England to the Euros?

ReputationRep:
    Caulker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberwang)
    Ex-England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has told the press that Wayne Rooney should be named the new captain.

Rooney would rank low in the players I believe would display the correct leadership for an England side.

I think it should be between Leighton Baines and Joe Hart - and I'd rather Rickie Lambert over Rooney.

Who do you think should captain England to the Euros?

Anyone but Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    Wayne Rooney by default. I don't think Joe Hart would be able to hold down a regular place in the team.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill

Rooney, he hasn't done it for England at the Top Level but you cannot fault his work rate, but I can't see him leading England.

(I wanted Gerrard to continue to the Euro's :/)

ReputationRep:
    Baines is too sheepish. Another vote for Cahill.

ReputationRep:
    luke shaw

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should be appointed permanent captain, it makes them a pick regardless of form and that's something we'd want to get rid of.

The Captain should be picked from the players assembled for each squad on a squad-by-squad basis. Most of the leading/older players are or have been Captains at their club so experience in the role isn't a problem. England Captain is more symbolic than anything else, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill.

ReputationRep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's between Rooney & Cahill, what a completely dull and uninspiring list of choices.

(Original post by Autistic Merit)
    Wayne Rooney by default. I don't think Joe Hart would be able to hold down a regular place in the team.
    There's nobody capable of overtaking Hart though, at least in the short term.

Jack Butland? Needs first team football
    John Ruddy, Ben Foster? Not good enough
    Fraser Forster? Won't be taken seriously as long as he plays in the Scottish Park League
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely believe it should be Hart.

Nobody else is a guaranteed starter in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    When was Rooney's last decent game for England? 2006?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter who's captain in football does it? A few extra interviews and press conferences, shaking hands at the coin toss and that's about it? Just select a captain on a game by game basis. Don't need to tie yourself into a selection of an out of form player.

ReputationRep:
    What a strange shortlist.

ReputationRep:
    Hart. Experience, confidence, maturity and a conspicuously furious desire to win every game.

ReputationRep:
    Baines!? He's hardly played for England due to the consistency of Ashley Cole and is 29 already, despite not really having much experience at the top level. My choice would be Gary Cahill, with Lallana as vice-captain.

ReputationRep:
    Cahill or Hart.

But on the plus side...the captain has absolutely no role in the team. It's someone for the press to talk to and about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.