Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guns are 'moronic', would you agree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know I would, I'm STRONGLY against them for many reasons - the main one being citizens simply do not need them, they should be in the hands of servicemen/women ...

Would you really want to leave your house knowing almost everyone you meet owns or is carrying a gun? Your neighbour could easily lose his temper, just like Oscar Pistorius did, and shoot you ...

Guns are ridiculous, call me a liberal all you want because I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    moved to chat

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the disturbing crime rate in South Africa and the frequency of home break ins, coupled with incompetent and corrupt police, I think owning a gun there is a sensible option. Even the gated communities like the one Oscar Pistorius lived in aren't immune to crime.

In the United Kingdom there isn't much reason outside of tournament shooting, and pest control for owning a gun.

ReputationRep:
    Guns are ridiculous in theory.

If someone was to discover a way to kill people using voodoo (ridiculous, but for a different reason), people would be horrified at the prospect of anyone on the planet being able to kill them from afar with ease. No-one should have easy access to a way to kill people, because there is no legitimate reason to want to.

Guns are not moronic or ridiculous. They're inanimate objects.

ReputationRep:
      Big fan myself, currently the only reason I no longer own them is due to finances.

As soon as I am back in full time Employment my wife and I plan to get back to shooting ASAP.

If I have my way ill also be game hunting again as well.(Though probably with a Bow not a rifle)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
      Big fan myself, currently the only reason I no longer own them is due to finances.

As soon as I am back in full time Employment my wife and I plan to get back to shooting ASAP.

If I have my way ill also be game hunting again as well.
      What about the poor animals though? There are sports just as fun as hunting which don't involve killing.

ReputationRep:
      Not really. I mean, I don't think people should be using them all the time obviously, but if you think you may be a target for armed burglaries then I don't think it's a bad idea to keep one for self defence.

Also, a lot of people enjoy hunting, so that would be another reason as to why people would want them for an understandable cause.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
      I know I would, I'm STRONGLY against them for many reasons - the main one being citizens simply do not need them, they should be in the hands of servicemen/women ...

Would you really want to leave your house knowing almost everyone you meet owns or is carrying a gun? Your neighbour could easily lose his temper, just like Oscar Pistorius did, and shoot you ...

Guns are ridiculous, call me a liberal all you want because I don't care.
      Yes. Absolutely 100% against them, no one should have the opportunity to take another human life.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lerjj)
      What about the poor animals though? There are sports just as fun as hunting which don't involve killing.
      I actually plan to re-create a thread I made from 2010 discussing the morality of hunting this afternoon/evening, I will quote you in it when I have it up and running and we can discuss the Poor Animals all you like ^_^

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
      I actually plan to re-create a thread I made from 2010 discussing the morality of hunting this afternoon/evening, I will quote you in it when I have it up and running and we can discuss the Poor Animals all you like ^_^
      Danke. Will you consider it taking the piss if I bring up the fact that it's against my religion to hunt? Because normally I'd say religions shouldn't influence ethical debate, but in this case... they're on my side.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cah846)
      Yes. Absolutely 100% against them, no one should have the opportunity to take another human life.
      Of course, no one, even those who live in areas full of crime and burglaries, should have the right to defend themselves! How dare someone desire to protect themselves and their families to the best of their ability! They should just bend over and take it up the ass willingly from anyone wishing to harm them!

ReputationRep:
      Guns are not "moronic" and they have far more legitimate uses than a lot of people seem to realise. Sport shooting and pest control shooting, for example.

(Original post by lerjj)
      There's nothing wrong with shooting. It's a fun sport and provides some nice free range meat - shooting is far less cruel than the production of most meat.

ReputationRep:
      I used to be completely against guns but, after serious discussions with gun owners I'm now of the mind to just tighten regulations around guns and put restrictions in place. To provide background checks and psychological evaluations before legally selling someone a firearm.

I know it won't completely solve the problem (neither will banning them all together) but if it stops a few crazy people from having access to a lethal weapon it's okay in my books.

I'd feel very nervous if I knew people could carry guns around.
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Maid Marian)
        I'd feel very nervous if I knew people could carry guns around.
        Same

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by lerjj)
        Danke. Will you consider it taking the piss if I bring up the fact that it's against my religion to hunt? Because normally I'd say religions shouldn't influence ethical debate, but in this case... they're on my side.
        I thought you gave up on that religion thing, I saw your AME thread in Chat?

But no you can use whatever rational you like.

ReputationRep:
        Not necessarily. I think gun culture in America is pretty moronic though.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by bertstare)

Of course, no one, even those who live in areas full of crime and burglaries, should have the right to defend themselves! How dare someone desire to protect themselves and their families to the best of their ability! They should just bend over and take it up the ass willingly from anyone wishing to harm them!
        You're basically showing everyone here that you're a coward who can't even fight, so you have to resort to the most cowardly weapons... Guns.

And you're calling someone else beta? Lol

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Monsieur Gamma)
        x
        Guns aren't moronic. They're extremely useful for farmers, people who like to hunt, and - in the hands of a mentally stable person - for self-defence.

(Original post by Jordooooom)
        You're basically showing everyone here that you're a coward who can't even fight, so you have to resort to the most cowardly weapons... Guns.
        Calling guns "cowardly" is ridiculous; when you choose a weapon to defend your family and property with, you choose the most efficient, easy-to-use and powerful one. You don't use a weaker one. I'd rather be a living beta than a dead alpha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.