Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should zero-hours contracts be banned? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you regulate zero-hours contracts?
    Yes
    46.67%
    No
    53.33%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I've always been dead against zero-hours contracts because of the reports I read in the left-wing press about how it disturbs an employees' social life, allows big multinationals to increase their profit margins, and get away without paying sick pay.

But, after launching this thread last month, I found the majority of people on zero-hours contracts actually enjoy the flexibility. But is that just because this website is called The Student Room and such flexible conditions suit students.

Should zero-hours contracts be banned in the UK?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not.

I've been on two zero hour contracts and while the first annoyed me due to the variation week to week, the second meant I could pick and choose when I was working.

The ONS I think it was found that 84% of people got hours they deemed satisfactory.

Banning zero hour contracts may well just lead to a low hour contract, employers will still demand additional flexibility on top.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    No, they serve a clear and useful purpose for casual workers.

However, they should be regulated more strictly, I've seen them used for people who are clearly just full time workers to avoid things like sick pay.

ReputationRep:
    A job should have laid out terms and conditions, when you're coming in and for how long and this should be regular and a contract. Zero hour contracts don't provide any structure to someone's life, they can't plan ahead or be there for their family or have a proper balanced working life. Your life shouldn't revolve around waiting for there to be an available time to come in to work

Overtime is much better, but people need the basic contracted hours at the very least
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'd also add that its a myth that zero hour contracts require you to wait for the call and come in. Most companies are organized enough to have a rota the week before.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

**** the state!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    My mum has a zero-hour contract. They are bull-****.

ReputationRep:
    No but they should be regulated with a code of conduct.
    (Original post by Mackay)
    My mum has a zero-hour contract. They are bull-****.
    Would you rather her be unemployed then?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely, ban then and state a minimum number of working hours.

ReputationRep:
    zero hours contracts have a place, I'm a care worker and an employer like mine needs to have some staff in a 'reserve' to cover sickness, holiday etc, and I work on a zero hours contract in a second job which is perfect for me as I only do shifts when I need some money and I'm not busy... other places could include shops who just want a student to do a few hours on busy days

however they are clearly being abused in a lot of places and so the regulation of them needs to be better so employers can't get away with refusing people benefits like sick pay that they should receive

ReputationRep:
    Giving someone an exclusive 0 hour contract should be banned, and I think it is now, because if you're not giving that person any hours that week then they should be able to pick them up somewhere else.
    I think they need regulating, you can't put someone on a 0 hour contract if you're intending to always give them 35 hours, and not even considering any flexibility in that. I work 35 hours a week and if I didn't have paid holidays to look forward to I would go insane!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.