The Student Room Group

Want to quit my apprenticeship?

I'll try keep this brief but any help or advise would be appreciated!

Basically just over a year ago I began an apprenticeship with my local radio station and I was really enjoying it, they were adding more to my skills everyday, it was a fantastic opportunity, not one I will regret!

However, now the end is just a few weeks away, I had an awkward conversation with some of my managers about what happens after I receive the qualification and they said that unfortunately, they were not in a position to take me on full time, which I completely understood because of the way things work here.

I was fully in job search mode when my manager drops a bombshell; they want to offer me a 3 month contract in a new role to see if it works because they want me to stay and help as much as I can (I might add that right now I am pretty much my bosses PA- Still on apprentice wage!). I obviously said I would love to be able to do it and see where it leads

Then yesterday, my managers do a complete U-turn and tell me it's only a possibility they will offer this position to me because of the ways things are going at the company.

This leaves me in an awful situation of knowing that more than likely, in 6 weeks time, I will be unemployed... I am not enjoying my job AT ALL- it's making me physically ill, I am just not coping with the attitudes of people in management, I feel very much like a spare part.

I had an interview yesterday for another job and have a strong feeling I have a good shot at getting it, and even if I don't, I know I can pick up a few shifts at one of my local restaurants, so my question is, should I hand my notice in and leave? I'd rather jump than be pushed if I'm honest and I'm just so miserable here, I dread coming to work..

Help!?
If you're at the point where you dread going into work everyday (I'm familiar with this feeling myself) then can you really imagine dealing with that for months to come? It also doesn't sound too secure if they're not sure whether or not they'll be able to offer you something based on "how the company is going". If I was in your position I'd say that another opportunity has come up, but make sure that I left on quite positive terms just in case a) they can give you a good reference, and b) in case any decent opportunities came up with them in the future.
Reply 2
If I'm honest, I expect that the day I get the qualifications through will be my last at the station, which is just frustrating... I know my time is not valued here, I'm just expected to do a job based on little information and if I get it wrong, I am told it all counts against me in the long term... which basically means that I won't be asked to stay on.. I know that my time is more valuable doing a thorough job search, I'm lucky enough to still be living at home but I still have bills to pay and I can't claim benefits for 6 months, and even though I can pick shifts up, I doubt it will be enough to get me through a period of unemployment...

Just feeling rather frustrated at the moment and could do with some other peoples thoughts I guess!

Quick Reply

Latest