Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone ! My name is Jad, I'm 19 and I'm from Morocco.

I recently receive my results from the foundation year of Warwick (HEFP Business studies) and unfortunately, I miss the requirements of my firm (Warwick, BSC management) and insurance choice (Cass, Business studies). They are waiting for the A level results before taking any decision but I think that they will reject me (EDIT: Finally I still have my chances for CASS !)

However, my grades are pretty good and I meet, for example the requirements of Lancaster, in their course "Business studies".
    According to the " the complete university guide" and "the guardian", Lancaster has a good ranking in both overall score and business management courses.
    However, I don't want to take a decision just in regards of these rankings. This is why I would be happy to hear any information about Lancaster reputation (both international and local) or any alternative in a Business Management course.

I would like to study in a campus. For my point of view, that's an experience that we have to take at least for 3 years. I didn't have the chance to visit any campus, except in Warwick, which is an ideal for me. Thus, I'm looking for a campus which will be pretty similar to Warwick , with a lot of societies, a good nightlife, a lot events ans so on..
    However, I red that the campus in Lancaster is not as good as other campus such as the campus of Warwick or Leeds. What do you guys think about that ?

I was also thinking about taking "Law and Business Studies" in the university of Warwick... but I red that this course is more based on law. I never studied law before and I'm afraid to find the course not interesting/difficult. To be honest, I'm considering this alternative just because of the University itself. Moreover, the ranking of the Warwick law school is pretty low (20th) in comparision with their other departments such as Economics or Business.

I'm sorry if my thread was too long, but I was too confident about going to the WBS and therefore I don't have so much information about other universities/course !

Many thanks for your consideration,
    Jad
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadb17)
    Hi everyone ! My name is Jad, I'm 19 and I'm from Morocco.

I recently receive my results from the foundation year of Warwick (HEFP Business studies) and unfortunately, I miss the requirements of my firm (Warwick, BSC management) and insurance choice (Cass, Business studies). They are waiting for the A level results before taking any decision but I think that they will reject me.

However, my grades are pretty good and I meet, for example the requirements of Lancaster, in their course "Business studies".
    According to the " the complete university guide" and "the guardian", Lancaster has a good ranking in both overall score and business management courses.
    However, I don't want to take a decision just in regards of these rankings. This is why I would be happy to hear any information about Lancaster reputation (both international and local) or any alternative in a Business Management course.

I would like to study in a campus. For my point of view, that's an experience that we have to take at least for 3 years. I didn't have the chance to visit any campus, except in Warwick, which is an ideal for me. Thus, I'm looking for a campus which will be pretty similar to Warwick , with a lot of societies, a good nightlife, a lot events ans so on..
    However, I red that the campus in Lancaster is not as good as other campus such as the campus of Warwick or Leeds. What do you guys think about that ?

I was also thinking about taking "Law and Business Studies" in the university of Warwick... but I red that this course is more based on law. I never studied law before and I'm afraid to find the course not interesting/difficult. To be honest, I'm considering this alternative just because of the University itself. Moreover, the ranking of the Warwick law school is pretty low (20th) in comparision with their other departments such as Economics or Business.

I'm sorry if my thread was too long, but I was too confident about going to the WBS and therefore I don't have so much information about other universities/course !

Many thanks for your consideration,
    Jad
    Lancaster has a great business school - especially for undergraduate degrees.

I've reported this thread so the mods can move it to the business forum where you'll likely get more responses.

I would suggest if you're considering elsewhere that you contact those universities and make enquiries - at this point you're still tied to your firm/insurance so it wouldn't be official but it should help reassure you that there are places available.

If you get an unofficial offer from Lancaster (or somewhere else) then you can contact both Warwick and Cass to explain this and ask them to let you go into Clearing. Usually they will do this no problem - in a few cases you asking to go elsewhere will prompt them to decide to accept you with lower grades rather than lose you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi and many thanks for your message !
    I called universities:
    1) I still have my chances in Cass Business school
    1) Im glad to say that Lancaster sent me today an "unofficial" offer for the course "Business studies Bsc HONS". I have until the 6th of August to reply (and therefore reject Warwick and Cass).

2) Exeter in their course "Business management"
    3) Surrey in their course "Business management"
    4) Manchester in their course "International management
    5) Bristol, Bsc Management
    6) Soas, Management
    These 3 universities are taking my case into consideration. I meet their entry requirements and they have some places available. So, they told me that it would normally not be a problem

Leeds, KCL, UCL and Loughborough told me that they will not go on clearing for the course that I'm interested in.

So, which university should I choose between Lancaster, Surrey, Exeter and Manchester ? According to the completeuniversityguide and the guardian, I should definitely go to Lancaster. According to the wages on "unistats", I should go to Exeter.. Consequently I don't really know where I should go academically.

Moreover, like I said, the social life is very important for me. I really hope that my 3 years at uni will be the best years in my life. Knowing that I love clubbing and the nightlife, Lancaster will be for example, a problem for me. I'm not saying that I need to go to a very good nightclub three times per week but something which look like Warwick's students nightlife would be perfect !!

This is why I will be very happy to read any advice from you guys. I'm lost and I need to take a decision this week !

EDIT: I'm also considering to apply again for the WBS in year 1 by doing at the same time my first year in Lancaster. It seems ridiculous (waste of time and money) but going to the WBS was my deepest dream..

ReputationRep:
    I would personally choose Manchester. It has a brilliant international reputation and is a more lively city than Lancaster with close links to may surrounding cities such as Liverpool.

I have no idea about any of the specific courses you ask about but I'm sure Manchester would be a good course as their business department is very good.

They would definitely be my first choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi alex ! Many thanks for your answer

Yes you are right, Manchester, like KCL have a good international reputation. However, Lancaster, Exeter and Surrey are far from manchester in the national rankings. My aim is to do a good master in London, in the LBS or LSE and then work a few years in the UK. So, what do you think ?

I red that Lancaster's students go often to Manchester, especially for clubbing... It took 1hour by train

And like I said, I want to experience a campus atmosphere.. I based myself from what I red so don't hesitate to contradict me, I will be happy to know what do you think about that !

Any more advice ?

EDIT: I can also be accepted to Bristol and SOAS

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I was looking again and again at the diffents ranking but making a choice is extremely difficult. I really need your help to try to make a kind of hiearchy (just in terms of career prospects first, then I will see the social life) knowing that my aim is to take a MSC or a MBA in a prestigious university (LSE or LBS) and then be employed in London.

The rankings are definitely not a good option to evaluate these universities, which seem to be close each other. However, it can give an overview.. I summarise the rankings of the best universities where I can be accepted in a Business Management course.
    Spoiler:
    Show

The Complete University Guide 2015:

OVERALL : Exeter(10th), Lancaster (11th), Surrey (12th), Bristol (18th), Manchester (28th ), SOAS (35th), City (40th

Bus/Management: Lancaster (7th) Exeter(10th) City (14th) Surrey (20th), Manchester (26th), SOAS (28th), Bristol (34th)

The Guardian 2015:

OVERAL: Surrey(6th), Lancaster(10th) Exeter (12th), SOAS (24th), Manchester (33th), Bristol (34th), City (35th),

Bus/Management: City (7th), Lancaster (11th), Surrey (15th), Exeter (17th), Manchester(19th), SOAS and Brisol (insufficient data)

The Times and Sunday Times 2014:

OVERALL: Exeter(8th), Lancaster(12h), Surrey(12th), Bristol (15th), SOAS (24th) Manchester (26th), City (43th)

Bus/Management: Lancaster (5th), Exeter(11th), City(15th), Surrey(20th), Manchester(22th), Bristol(41th).

Financial times European business school (2013):

City(18th), Manchester(39th), Lancaster (55th)

So, from these rankings, it can be argued that (please don't judge what I'm saying here, I'm just trying to analyse these rankings, it doesn't say that is necessarily right) :

1) City has a great business school with a very good reputation in the UK and in the world but the universisty itself is weak.

2) Lancaster has a good business school, is well-known in the UK and has a better international reputation in comparison with other universities on that list.

3) Exeter: same as Lancaster but without the international reputation

4) Bristol/Surrey: Pretty good reputation in the UK but they don't have a good business school

5) Manchester has a good international reputation but seems to be has been in the UK

6) SOAS is definitely the weak link

Well, I have nothing else to assess these universities.. This is why I would love to know what do you advice me to choose in terms of career prospect, employability, chance to be accepted in a prestigious master.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster, Surrey, Exeter and Manchester

I'm assuming being an international student you don't have time to visit.

I think if you definitely know you want to take a masters in London then any of the above would be suitable providing you gain a good grade during your degree and if possible gain some work experience.

I don't have much insight into Surrey but I applied to Exeter and their business department is well rated. They also have a good reputation down South which I guess could be influential if you are definitely going to study further in London.

Manchester is a red brick university and has a great international reputation, although it's domestic ranking has suffered recently. As an international student yourself this could be important because I doubt many have heard of Exeter University outside of the UK whereas Manchester is one of the biggest in the UK.

I myself am applying for university and don't really pay attention to the league tables general ranking. I look at:

Business department overall ranking and consistency of it being there
    Course content and options for placements/consultancy projects
    fees/available scholarships
    graduate prospects

Note that Manchester is one of the top universities targeted by the top universities according to statistics. Ahead of Oxbridge.

I live near Lancaster and it's a really good university and nice surroundings. It's more of a town however and personally I didn't rate the night life.

Out of your options Manchester is by far the best night life and most options for leisure time, although if you like a closer knit community then Lancaster or Exeter would be better.

I think you should just look at the course content and see which one you think you will enjoy the most and will allow you to achieve the highest grade possible.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alex, many thanks for your answer, that's clarify a lot of my doubts.
    Yep, so the course content, the possibility to have a high grade at the end and good work experience are important factors to take into consideration.
    Actually I don't really care about the international reputation, because I want to work in the UK/Morocco.

(Original post by Alexafc12)

1) Note that Manchester is one of the top universities targeted by the top universities according to statistics. Ahead of Oxbridge.

2) It's more of a town
    1) Interesting.. how do you know that ?
    2)What do you mean by that ?

ReputationRep:
    2) Exeter in their course "Business management"
    3) Surrey in their course "Business management"
    4) Manchester in their course "International management
    5) Bristol, Bsc Management
    6) Soas, Management
    These 3 universities are taking my case into consideration. I meet their entry requirements and they have some places available. So, they told me that it would normally not be a problem
    They told you that they would be entering clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they all told me that : 1) They have places availables. 2) My results match with their entry requirements.
    I sent my results to Lancaster and Manchester before the other universities.
    Manchester told me that they cannot make any offer before the A-level result but that "it would be highly likely that you would be offered a place"
    Lancaster sent my an offer. I have until the 6th August to reply.
    For the others, I'm stil waiting their response.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alex, many thanks for your answer, that's clarify a lot of my doubts.
    Yep, so the course content, the possibility to have a high grade at the end and good work experience are important factors to take into consideration.
    Actually I don't really care about the international reputation, because I want to work in the UK/Morocco.

1) Interesting.. how do you know that ?
    2)What do you mean by that ?

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf

Remember though, Universities like Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham are going to be higher than others considering the size of the universities and number of students enrolled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexafc12)
    http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GMReport14.pdf

Remember though, Universities like Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham are going to be higher than others considering the size of the universities and number of students enrolled.
    Thanks that's link is very useful !
    What did you mean by "it's more of a town" ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.