Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Victorian England Dissertation Proposal...Suggestions?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am completely flummoxed at what I should do my dissertation on next year.
    I am currently looking to write my proposal but I am really struggling to decide on an area I would like to cover.
    I have decided that I would really like to base my dissertation on the Victorian period but I am not entirely sure as to which part of Victorian history I would like to do.

Areas I am interested in:
    Victorian Crime (Top interest)
    Poverty, the workhouses etc.
    Chartism
    Transportation and the slave industry
    Child Labour

I am just really unsure on what to do and what direction to go in?
    I guess I am looking for some guidance or some ideas on something interesting I could focus my topics on!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not a historian but if I was asked to write a dissertation I would probably prefer to focus, like you, on Victorian crime. I do believe the MPS was founded back in 1829 so I suppose you could talk about detection rates, new ways in which criminals were caught, the positives of a centralised police force and all that kind of thing. Victorian crime is actually a very rich subject to discuss as some of the best known cases occurred at that time, cases such as Jack the Ripper. Lucy Worsely's A Very British Murder is a TV series that may pique your interest. In it she discusses the Victorian perception of murder, how it was handled, how it was portrayed in books/magazines and so on. It's very interesting and heady stuff!

Best of luck with your dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    I have a big interest in Victorian crime but 0 idea where to go with it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH10221-R)
    Thanks!
    I have a big interest in Victorian crime but 0 idea where to go with it :/
    Dissertations aren't terribly easy things to write, especially if you're new to academic writing. I certainly am not looking forward to doing mine! I suggest you think of a few interesting points to research and bring them up with your supervisor so that he/she can help point you in the right direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH10221-R)
    I am completely flummoxed at what I should do my dissertation on next year.
    I am currently looking to write my proposal but I am really struggling to decide on an area I would like to cover.
    I have decided that I would really like to base my dissertation on the Victorian period but I am not entirely sure as to which part of Victorian history I would like to do.

Areas I am interested in:
    Victorian Crime (Top interest)
    Poverty, the workhouses etc.
    Chartism
    Transportation and the slave industry
    Child Labour

I am just really unsure on what to do and what direction to go in?
    I guess I am looking for some guidance or some ideas on something interesting I could focus my topics on!

Thanks
    Victorian Crime - see if you can get in to see the MPS files from the 1830s. Your professors would love you to use stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice guys.
    Perhaps it would be interesting to follow a particular case or something like that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.