Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The self: a hypothetical situation Watch

ReputationRep:
    A hypothetical situation came to mind: Say it is possible to clone humans on a nano level, including the neuronal connections of the brain and their organisation, and so you are able to copy an individual including their memories.

Say if you were going to die, and so had one of these clones made which could be activated upon death, would you really be dead?
    The clone would be the exact same as you, with the same thoughts, feelings, and body... yet it wouldn't be you.

Consciousness isn't continuous as you need to sleep and so lose consciousness, but there is still significant cortical activity. If you die and cortical activity ceases in your brain, would that be any different from sleeping. If activity could be re-activated, would be that akin to waking out of a sleep; and would it be the same if it was reactivated in the clone rather than your body?

I realise I blabbered there; but just an idea that crossed my mind. I think its from trying out the game The Swapper, which I found quite disturbing in its own little way thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think problems like this have a lot to do with the fact that philosophy somewhat discourages definitions. Most concepts have no universal definitions. People seem to think that this is one of the making qualities of philosophy; it might be because I don't know enough philosophy to truly appreciate this aspect. Give a formal definition of 'the self', and your problem becomes a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phil.stud)
    I think problems like this have a lot to do with the fact that philosophy somewhat discourages definitions. Most concepts have no universal definitions. People seem to think that this is one of the making qualities of philosophy; it might be because I don't know enough philosophy to truly appreciate this aspect. Give a formal definition of 'the self', and your problem becomes a lot easier.
    What possible definitions of the self are there?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.