Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I'm still unsure about which hall to choose, though recently Ive been thinking that Birks Grange catered would suit me best. I'd be so thankful if anyone could answer a couple of questions I have

1) Is cardiac hill really that bad? I like walking and I'm rather fit, would it still be a problem for me?
    2) Are there any buses near Birks that travel to city centre? Or do you have to cross the whole campus to get there?
    3) What kind of pe ople live there? Is atmosphere friendly? Are there many international students? (I'm from India)
    4) Does anyone have a picture of en-suite single room at Birks? That would be soo helpful. Also, are bathrooms big? Are there proper showers or just wet rooms?
    5) How good is Birks comparing to other halls?

Thank you so so much
    Navasi, the Unsure Applicant

ReputationRep:
    1) Is cardiac hill really that bad? I like walking and I'm rather fit, would it still be a problem for me?

No, its not at all! At first you'll probably think its awful but you get used to it, especially if you're fit already. Also iff you're in the far blocks then it'll make sense to use the 'mini-cardiac' which is a lot easier. But in essence, no, its not bad at all, people over-exaggerate. Hundreds of students do it at least once a day throughout term time and nobody dies

2) Are there any buses near Birks that travel to city centre? Or do you have to cross the whole campus to get there?

There are buses, yes, but its only a 20 min walk. You don't cross the campus you walk along the road pretty much all the way to the centre of town.

3) What kind of pe ople live there? Is atmosphere friendly? Are there many international students? (I'm from India)

The atmosphere is friendly, yes, its one of the most sociable halls in my opinion. Not many international students I'm afraid but don't let that put you off.

4) Does anyone have a picture of en-suite single room at Birks? That would be soo helpful. Also, are bathrooms big? Are there proper showers or just wet rooms?

You get a proper bathroom with a shower cubicle not a wet room. Photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/261262...7629161726104/

Birks is good, has a nice community feel, double beds, good atmosphere, shop etc. Definitely not a bad place to be, I'd recommend it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gl71994)

No, its not at all! At first you'll probably think its awful but you get used to it, especially if you're fit already. Also iff you're in the far blocks then it'll make sense to use the 'mini-cardiac' which is a lot easier. But in essence, no, its not bad at all, people over-exaggerate. Hundreds of students do it at least once a day throughout term time and nobody dies

There are buses, yes, but its only a 20 min walk. You don't cross the campus you walk along the road pretty much all the way to the centre of town.

The atmosphere is friendly, yes, its one of the most sociable halls in my opinion. Not many international students I'm afraid but don't let that put you off.

You get a proper bathroom with a shower cubicle not a wet room. Photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/261262...7629161726104/

Birks is good, has a nice community feel, double beds, good atmosphere, shop etc. Definitely not a bad place to be, I'd recommend it!
    Thank you so much, that was really informative!!
    I have only one question left - what is a 'mini-cardiac'?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navasi)
    Thank you so much, that was really informative!!
    I have only one question left - what is a 'mini-cardiac'?
    Thank you
    Sorry, late reply assume you have your halls now but if you are in Birks then mini cardiac is on the left hand side of the blocks (if you are facing the new self catered buildings) just as you turn onto the road/path to Duryard. A lot easier if you are in the blocks on the far side of Birks rather than the blocks by the dining hall/shop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.