Hamilton
    44.83%
    Rosberg
    3.45%
    Other(specify in thread)
    0%

• Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The 10th Grand Prix on the calendar is the Hungarian Grand Prix or Magyar Nagydíj. The circuit itself holds its place on the calendar until 2016.

The first Grand Prix to take place in Hungary was in June 1936, in a park in Budapest. However, it was not until 50 years later in 1986 that the next Grand Prix took place, due to the country’s politics and wars.
    However, Hungarian motor racing has a longer history than that and in fact Hungarian, Ferenc Szisz won the first ever "Grand Prix" – the 1906 Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France at Le Mans, France. He is commemorated with a statue at the main entrance gates of the Hungaroring.

When it returned to the calendar in 1986 through a coup by Bernie Ecclestone, it was surrounded by controversy as it was placed behind the Iron Curtain, the first grand prix of its kind, and was won by Nelson Piquet.
    Its place in the calendar also made it a very hot race, and it became famed for not having a single wet race for 20 years until 2006, where Jenson Button won from 14th on the grid.

Michael Schumacher holds the record for the most wins here with 4, his most famous in 1998, while McLaren holds the most constructor wins with 11. Sebastian Vettel is yet to win here, and as of all the drivers currently on the grid only Raikonnen, Button, Webber, Alonso and Hamilton have won here.

Some notable events that have taken place at the Hungaroring are Michael Schumachers dramatic encounter with Barrichello, Damon Hill's first Grand Prix win and Alonso's first win which also made him the first winner of a Grand Prix from Spain.

Last year, Lewis Hamilton won by a second with Kimi Raikonnen second and Vettel third after a race dominated by pit strategies and the tight limits of the track reduced overtakes.

ReputationRep:

Getting excited for the race weekend.

ReputationRep:
    In on GP Thread.

Hoping Hamilton can return to winning ways over Rosberg. He needs to just have a decent quali and then can be in pole and can control the race.

ReputationRep:
    Mental week (thanks to back to back races!) and storms are predicted for Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    Mental week (thanks to back to back races!) and storms are predicted for Sunday.

Yea but they were also predicted for the race in Germany on sunday and never materialised...

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the marshalls practice an extraction from our car on the garage time. First time I've ever seen them do it 'close up'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    Just watched the marshalls practice an extraction from our car on the garage time. First time I've ever seen them do it 'close up'.
    An extraction as in of a driver?

Sounds cool. is there any videos of them doing this online?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    An extraction as in of a driver?

Sounds cool. is there any videos of them doing this online?
    Yep. They pick a different team every weekend to practice on, I think. Driver and seat have to come out together and then when they put him on the floor they seemed to do some stuff to stabilise him too. (Think it was a mechanic in overalls and a helmet in this case though!)

Never seen a video of it online. Probably FOM would ban it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lib)
    Yep. They pick a different team every weekend to practice on, I think. Driver and seat have to come out together and then when they put him on the floor they seemed to do some stuff to stabilise him too. (Think it was a mechanic in overalls and a helmet in this case though!)

Never seen a video of it online. Probably FOM would ban it.
    Interested to see how that would work with the driver angle in the cockpit. I'm imagining a friends stairway sofa pivot moment.

I'll go try and find one...

ReputationRep:
    Looks like this weekend is Hamilton's to lose.

ReputationRep:
    come on Lewis! back to the front of the grid on Saturday & Sunday I hope!

while I'm here, what do people make of the two races announced? Mexico from 2015, Azerbaijan (yes, really) from 2016?

I get Mexico as F1 is popular there & they have two drivers currently on the grid, but Azerbaijan??? what corrupt billionaire paid Bernie for that one???

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the race, hoping for a Hamilton win!

Azerbaijan - how ridiculous! Which current track will go to make way for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellkins)
    Can't wait for the race, hoping for a Hamilton win!

Azerbaijan - how ridiculous! Which current track will go to make way for that?
    I am gonna guess at one of the European ones that gets huge crowds & provides great racing but where the government/sponsors don't give Bernie big enough bungs :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    I am gonna guess at one of the European ones that gets huge crowds & provides great racing but where the government/sponsors don't give Bernie big enough bungs :rolleyes:

Sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

My fear is that one day Spa will go, I don't even want to think about that :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellkins)
    Sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

My fear is that one day Spa will go, I don't even want to think about that :afraid:
    it wasn't on the calendar in 03 or 06, it's one of the best tracks & even non-F1 fans know it, would be awful it they did axe it but you have to fear for it given Bernies love of lucrative circuits that deliver awful racing & awful crowds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jean-Luc Picard)
    come on Lewis! back to the front of the grid on Saturday & Sunday I hope!

while I'm here, what do people make of the two races announced? Mexico from 2015, Azerbaijan (yes, really) from 2016?

I get Mexico as F1 is popular there & they have two drivers currently on the grid, but Azerbaijan??? what corrupt billionaire paid Bernie for that one???

FFs, how ridiculous. Mexico makes sense but Azerbajjan is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously think about boycotting F1 if Spa was dropped permanently. It's the best, most exciting, most prestigious race on the calendar by a mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Contract for Spa does expire in 2015 but I can't see it being axed. Unless teams agree to 20+ races in a season, we might see more Nürburgring/Hockenheim type agreements but done internationally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I would seriously think about boycotting F1 if Spa was dropped permanently. It's the best, most exciting, most prestigious race on the calendar by a mile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% agree

ReputationRep:
    I'd be a giant shame if we lost Spa but i can see it at least going every other year in future easily sicne F1 is a business and the money from the other countries is massive.

When Bernie starts losing audience he'll have to fix it though and bring back the classics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.