Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It says "kills 99.99%" of bacteria, but how do i know that they are not lying? I mean how do they actually work?

my teacher said that they don't really kill that much bacteria as they are not working at their optimum temperature, which might I add, is higher than what is safe she says.

Enlighten me
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flou_fboco2)
    It says "kills 99.99%" of bacteria, but how do i know that they are not lying? I mean how do they actually work?

my teacher said that they don't really kill that much bacteria as they are not working at their optimum temperature, which might I add, is higher than what is safe she says.

Enlighten me
    It's basically a marketing manoeuvre. No detergent or hand wash can kill all bacteria. However, detergents can kill most of the bacteria to keep the pathological populations low. No proper scientific study has yet proven how many bacteria detergents can wipe off.

As to that point about an optimum temperature, that is significant only in detergents containing specific enzymes. For that, it must be specified on the detergent container as to what the optimum temperature is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamo123)
    It's basically a marketing manoeuvre. No detergent or hand wash can kill all bacteria. However, detergents can kill most of the bacteria to keep the pathological populations low. No proper scientific study has yet proven how many bacteria detergents can wipe off.

As to that point about an optimum temperature, that is significant only in detergents containing specific enzymes. For that, it must be specified on the detergent container as to what the optimum temperature is.
    so they lie? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its not that hard to kill bacteria - there are extremely few bacteria that can survive direct contact with the harsh chemicals in say bleach*. The problem with bleach comes when contact is avoided - small cracks in a floor, the bits on your hands the soap doesn't touch. So its the conditions that are vital in any quantative claim. The conditions that they use to come up with the 99.99% figure? Anyone's guess.

*though say 'never' at your peril! Bacteria have been cultured from the outside of spaceships, meaning they've survived not only a vacuum, but also the intense heat associated with a rocket launch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Its not that hard to kill bacteria - there are extremely few bacteria that can survive direct contact with the harsh chemicals in say bleach*. The problem with bleach comes when contact is avoided - small cracks in a floor, the bits on your hands the soap doesn't touch. So its the conditions that are vital in any quantative claim. The conditions that they use to come up with the 99.99% figure? Anyone's guess.

*though say 'never' at your peril! Bacteria have been cultured from the outside of spaceships, meaning they've survived not only a vacuum, but also the intense heat associated with a rocket launch...

oh i see. Thnax

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.