Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Essay/dissertation writing advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am also in a bit of a conundrum/catch 22/"chicken and egg" situation. On one hand, people say that one has to organise/outline one's thoughts before writing or reading so that the essay/dissertation/thesis-writing process is more streamlined. But on the other hand, how will I get to know what to put in my outline if I haven't read too much yet?

To put it another way, if you are presented with a question, can't you 'shout out' your opinion first then search for evidence later because the idea is to show the marker how you think? Or how do you know what opinion to vouch for until you finished reading?

The last thing I want to submit is a piece of rubbish but I want to make sure I am efficient in how I use my reading, preparation and writing time. The question is where do you start so that you efficiently get on with the task?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I was advised to write out all of my headings, along with a brief idea of where I would go with it. That way, you have a structure planned out, as well as knowing what you want to talk about. You can then begin reading in order to be able to fill in each heading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.