Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm going to Hull university this September to study Computer Science with Study Abroad. However lately I've been thinking of changing to Computer Science MEng, since you can do a masters funded by student finance.
    I choose the Study Abroad because I liked the idea of going Abroad and getting a feel for a different culture and it also prepared you better for your final year of your degree and it looked good on the CV

So my question is what course should I do and which will benefit me more?
    There's also the possibility of doing Comp Sci with Study Abroad then doing a masters funded myself.

ReputationRep:
    simple !!! you can have the two. Just try what I did.
    get to uni and go for summer or fall programs abroad. I will advice that you Go Abroad China or Italy or France. That will be awesome because Computer Engineering is booming in China try it. Education need not be much stressful. You may switch to ease the financial burden as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Night stalker)
    get to uni and go for summer or fall programs abroad. I will advice that you Go Abroad China or Italy or France. That will be awesome because Computer Engineering is booming in China try it. Education need not be much stressful. You may switch to ease the financial burden as well.
    So how long were you abroad for? I'm going to do computer science too and I herd France China Canada America are all in need for computer science.

I want to do a year industry placement and go abroad

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    China is a good option but isn't it expensive?

(Original post by Trustno1)
    So how long were you abroad for? I'm going to do computer science too and I herd France China Canada America are all in need for computer science.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The entire 3rd year. (About 9 months) I think and yeah America would be a possibility for me. Although if Japan was an option I'd go there without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    China is a good option but isn't it expensive?

The entire 3rd year. (About 9 months) I think and yeah America would be a possibility for me. Although if Japan was an option I'd go there without a doubt.
    I would love to go to Japan!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go to Japan!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. I know one university which I can't remember the name of, allows their Computer Science applicants to go to Japan on their year abroad. So I don't see why my university shouldn't allow it, I'll ask them anyways when I go.

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did computer science in Netherlands and spent a year in China virtually consolidating my experience. It could be fun though and I got to learn the language.
    I dont think it is expensive going to china at all. I had my investment back and also made some cash. China is not so strict on some stuff and you could manouver your way through. Once u have a good command over English language. This is an asset u need to have before entering china and you will be a heroe Just identify the right set of people to get associated with and you are good to go!!

ReputationRep:
    I did computer science in Netherlands and spent a year in China virtually consolidating my experience. It could be fun though and I got to learn the language.
    I dont think it is expensive going to china at all. I had my investment back and also made some cash. China is not so strict on some stuff and you could manouver your way through. Once u have a good command over English language. This is an asset u need to have before entering china and you will be a heroe Just identify the right set of people to get associated with and you are good to go!!
    I think my English is OK but, I'm not not perfect at it. Despite it been my first language.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the Computer Science (with Study Abroad) page on the Hull website, it says you can study at one of their partner institutions in "America, Australia, Asia or Europe". Looking at the Partner Universities page, it is slightly more specific, listing "USA, Australia (via Australian Exchange Network, Utrecht Network), Canada, Korea, Singapore and Europe" as the options.

I'm also starting CompSci this year (at a different university), I also hope to spend a year studying abroad, and I too would be stoked if Japan were an option, but it seems really rare for CS, because there are currently very few courses taught in English. You have some pretty amazing choices though, I can see Singapore and Korea being awesome places to study.

The best way to find out where you can go is to send them an email and ask, or wait until you're at uni and ask your study abroad coordinator. Don't worry too hard about what course you should take, most unis let you move between BSc, MSc, study abroad e.t.c. within your first 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WowSuchStudent)
    Looking at the Computer Science (with Study Abroad) page on the Hull website, it says you can study at one of their partner institutions in "America, Australia, Asia or Europe". Looking at the Partner Universities page, it is slightly more specific, listing "USA, Australia (via Australian Exchange Network, Utrecht Network), Canada, Korea, Singapore and Europe" as the options.

I'm also starting CompSci this year (at a different university), I also hope to spend a year studying abroad, and I too would be stoked if Japan were an option, but it seems really rare for CS, because there are currently very few courses taught in English. You have some pretty amazing choices though, I can see Singapore and Korea being awesome places to study.

The best way to find out where you can go is to send them an email and ask, or wait until you're at uni and ask your study abroad coordinator. Don't worry too hard about what course you should take, most unis let you move between BSc, MSc, study abroad e.t.c. within your first 2 years.
    Thanks for taking the time to look at the website haha. Yeah I guess they're some good options. What university are you going too and if you do go on the year abroad where would you like to go?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to look at the website haha. Yeah I guess they're some good options. What university are you going too and if you do go on the year abroad where would you like to go?
    If I meet my offer, I'll be going to Bristol, with Glasgow as my insurance. Bristol has quite a few options for study abroad, but I've no idea where I would want to go. I'm thinking maybe Spain, Singapore or Hong Kong, but I'll see what's available in a couple years when I have to choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WowSuchStudent)
    If I meet my offer, I'll be going to Bristol, with Glasgow as my insurance. Bristol has quite a few options for study abroad, but I've no idea where I would want to go. I'm thinking maybe Spain, Singapore or Hong Kong, but I'll see what's available in a couple years when I have to choose.
    Does your study abroad contribute towards your final degree classification? Mine counts 10% towards it and they say that on the website failing the year abroad could affect your final grade considerably.

ReputationRep:
    Does your study abroad contribute towards your final degree classification? Mine counts 10% towards it and they say that on the website failing the year abroad could affect your final grade considerably.
    I'm not sure, but I imagine it would count towards the final grade.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.