Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Trolley Problem - What would you do? Watch

• View Poll Results: Choices.
    Results hidden until poll closes.

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    There is a runaway trolley traveling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You do not have the ability to operate the lever in a way that would cause the trolley to derail without loss of life. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

What would you do? please explain the reasoning behind your actions.

EDIT:
    Other Considerations would any of these change your decision:
    1)
    the one person being a child and the five being old ( say 80s)
    2)
    the one being a criminal
    3) the one having no family and the five married with children or vise versa

ReputationRep:
    (2) cos less ppl will die.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabulkid)
    (2) cos less ppl will die.

would 1) the one person being a child and the five being old ( say 80s) or 2) the one being a criminal change your decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wee.Guy)
    would the one person being a child and the five being old ( say 80s) change your decision?
    nop.

ReputationRep:
    I heard this in a YouTube video last night about are you a psychopath?

That was the first question and the second question was would you yourself push a fat man infront in the train to save the five people

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather 5 people die through my inaction but not my fault than kill someone myself through my own actions.

ReputationRep:
    I would do nothing... The fact that 5 people would die is an unfortunate accident but me actively choosing to switch the track means I am making the decision that the other person should die. I don't feel that I have the right to do that.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    I heard this in a YouTube video last night about are you a psychopath?

That was the first question and the second question was would you yourself push a fat man infront in the train to save the five people

no im a high functioning sociopath

what youtube vid was it? Harvard Justice Series Lectures?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I'd rather 5 people die through my inaction but not my fault than kill someone myself through my own actions.
    Deciding not to save the five rather than killing the one. i see where youre coming from.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I think I'd have to agree with you. I'd feel awful (probably for life) though as I could have done something.

1) the one person being a child and the five being old ( say 80s)
    2) the one being a criminal
    3) the one having no family and the five married with children
    The different people do not matter because they are all humans. It shouldn't affect your choice too much, although one is a child... Hmm... :/

Also, do you mean a train or an actual trolley?
    Who asks this kind of question? :0

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no im a high functioning sociopath

what youtube vid was it? Harvard Justice Series Lectures?
    Naah it was called 'are you a psychopath? Take the test' by an account called big think.

Although I don't really see how it would make you a psychopath and psychopaths are meant to be selfish and so surely wouldn't put themselves at risk by pushing the fat man
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    I think I'd have to agree with you. I'd feel awful (probably for life) though as I could have done something.

The different people do not matter because they are all humans. It shouldn't affect your choice too much, although one is a child... Hmm... :/

Also, do you mean a train or an actual trolley?
    either, Not a shopping trolley though

(Original post by karmacrunch)
    Who asks this kind of question? :0

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Philosophers :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Divert it. Five people saved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There is a runaway trolley traveling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You do not have the ability to operate the lever in a way that would cause the trolley to derail without loss of life. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person.

What would you do? please explain the reasoning behind your actions.

1)
    the one person being a child and the five being old ( say 80s)
    2)
    the one being a criminal
    3) the one having no family and the five married with children

I think it would be a lot better to save 4 lives than to watch 5 people die.

1) This is obviously easier said than done, but I would still pull the lever... I mean, the child would die either way, right?
    2) Would still be hard for me as I'd prefer not to go around killing people. Nevertheless slightly easier than 1 as a criminal is not as innocent as a child
    3) Still pull the lever as the death of the ones with families would have impacted more people.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    Naah it was called 'are you a psychopath? Take the test' by an account called big think.

Although I don't really see how it would make you a psychopath and psychopaths are meant to be selfish and so surely wouldn't put themselves at risk by pushing the fat man
    Being a psychopath has nothing to do with being selfish. It entails (among other things) having a reduced or non-existent sense of remorse and empathy, and therefore the psychopath would have no moral qualms or even question their actions before or after pushing the fat guy off the bridge, whereas a normal person would have at least a moments hesitation.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BesideThePoint)
    I think it would be a lot better to save 4 lives than to watch 5 people die.

1) This is obviously easier said than done, but I would still pull the lever... I mean, the child would die either way, right?
    2) Would still be hard for me as I'd prefer not to go around killing people. Nevertheless slightly easier than 1 as a criminal is not as innocent as a child
    3) Still pull the lever as the death of the ones with families would have impacted more people.

no the child would live if you dont pull the lever, but 5 OAPs will die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenAssirati)
    Being a psychopath has nothing to do with being selfish. It entails (among other things) having a reduced or non-existent sense of remorse and empathy, and therefore the psychopath would have no moral qualms or even question their actions before or after pushing the fat guy off the bridge, whereas a normal person would have at least a moments hesitation.
    Perhaps selfish isn't the right word but they act in their own interests. So the idea that they would push someone for the greater good of the other 5 doesn't make sense

ReputationRep:
    If I would divert it, and one dies of it - I would be criminally liable. If I do nothing, I do not go to prison. I want to live my life so let the five day. Us humans are selfish.

ReputationRep:
    no the child would live if you dont pull the lever, but 5 OAPs will die.
    Ah, I see... so there are 6 people in total...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    But surely, if you could act, but didn't act, then that would be an action of sorts.

If you did act, you would have saved the 5 people. So by not acting, you have still chosen to let them die.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.