Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon,

I'm wondering if there is a way to import data from various websites into an Excel spreadsheet, and format it? Possibly using a macro, or the 'web to excel' function in 2013 Office.

For example, I would like to export the data from http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/r...yneux-handicap

into an excel file, whilst also importing data from other sites. At the moment I do a lot of copying and pasting but this way it would save me a lot of time.

Any experts out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebotobes)
    Afternoon,

I'm wondering if there is a way to import data from various websites into an Excel spreadsheet, and format it? Possibly using a macro, or the 'web to excel' function in 2013 Office.

For example, I would like to export the data from http://www.sportinglife.com/racing/r...yneux-handicap

into an excel file, whilst also importing data from other sites. At the moment I do a lot of copying and pasting but this way it would save me a lot of time.

Any experts out there?
    Go to the Data Tab > From Web

Browse to the website and click the uppermost yellow arrow.
    Click OK.

That's about it! It's not perfect, but that's the best way I can think of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebotobes)
    Afternoon,

Any experts out there?
    What I usually do is highlight over the desired table and copy the data into Excel.. This method took less than a minute.

Below are the results I achieved doing this on the website you provided (EDIT: The cells can be expanded if data goes across more than one line, I assume you know this)

Importing the data as Mikey said, is a good and common idea, however from experience I've noticed that it relies on the entirety of the webpage being in table format, otherwise you get unwanted and unintelligible data.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Importing the data as Mikey said, is a good and common idea, however from experience I've noticed that it relies on the entirety of the webpage being in table format, otherwise you get unwanted and unintelligible data.
    This is very true. Some sites are much better than others for this. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    This is very true. Some sites are much better than others for this. :yep:
    Should've seen what the spreadsheet looked like when I tried the importing method, thought I was going to collapse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.