Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, as the title says. Ahead of applying for 2015 consulting graduate roles, I've been doing as much practise as I can.

I bought the assessmentday numerical reasoning tests pack and have just been going through them. Here's a snapshot of my progress/results for the past 12 tests I've taken: http://imgur.com/h6Xe1Iv

As you can see, I'm not even close to consistently hitting the 70th percentile pass mark. I usually only even get through like 18 questions so I'm only every getting 10-15 questions right. I just don't understand how people pass these things. My usual strategy is just going through answering which ones I can and skipping which ones I can't (usually, I only ever only skip 1-2 questions and answer the rest).

I've got about 4 weeks until I want to get applications in and will need to do the real thing. Do you think that's enough time for me to improve my score to a pass rate?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Chances of you having to do 30 questions is the real thing is pretty low.

There must be areas which you struggle on more than others, but the test is no more than percentages, ratios, currencies etc. So if necessary, look up GCSE stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Try Graduate Monkey (www.graduatemonkey.com). Use that with Assessment Day, seems to do the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Try Graduate Monkey (www.graduatemonkey.com). Use that with Assessment Day, seems to do the job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is definitely something I was considering. The only thing holding me back right now is the cost. I figure I'll keep trying for a while and if it's not getting better then I would buy the Graduate Monkey set.

ReputationRep:
    Revise and study hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwaway2521)
    That is definitely something I was considering. The only thing holding me back right now is the cost. I figure I'll keep trying for a while and if it's not getting better then I would buy the Graduate Monkey set.
    To be fair, you get a whole 100 page booklet dedicated to SHL and Kenexa question types and it has walk-through guides for every single one of them plus practice tests plus videos demonstrating short cuts. So, for what you get, it's probably better value - it's not just practice questions. It actually gives advice that will add value to your performance. Not trying to sell it or anything but honestly, worked miracles for me. There is free content on there (albeit very little) if you're not sure. Also, if you are successful and get a job, how many multiples are you going to be earning over the cost of it? Over 1,000 times.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, you get a whole 100 page booklet dedicated to SHL and Kenexa question types and it has walk-through guides for every single one of them plus practice tests plus videos demonstrating short cuts. So, for what you get, it's probably better value - it's not just practice questions. It actually gives advice that will add value to your performance. Not trying to sell it or anything but honestly, worked miracles for me. There is free content on there (albeit very little) if you're not sure. Also, if you are successful and get a job, how many multiples are you going to be earning over the cost of it? Over 1,000 times.
    Yeah I hear ya. I probably will end up buying it since I can definitely see the added value from the videos etc. Just to clarify, which package are you referring to: the "All-In-One Bundle Pack" for £59? Or just the single ones for say, SHL type numerical questions for £19 each. Since I'm going to be applying to multiple firms who use various test providers, I suppose it would be wiser to just get the entire bundle.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hear ya. I probably will end up buying it since I can definitely see the added value from the videos etc. Just to clarify, which package are you referring to: the "All-In-One Bundle Pack" for £59? Or just the single ones for say, SHL type numerical questions for £19 each. Since I'm going to be applying to multiple firms who use various test providers, I suppose it would be wiser to just get the entire bundle.
    You should probably get the bundle, yes. However, I ended up buying each separately as I went along (because I only had a few applications left at the time so thought I'd only need one) and I think the price was cheaper when I got it but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should probably get the bundle, yes. However, I ended up buying each separately as I went along (because I only had a few applications left at the time so thought I'd only need one) and I think the price was cheaper when I got it but oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay, thanks. I know this is going to be a really general and subjective (on me) question but, looking at the current scores I'm getting (link in my original post), how long do you think it would take to get to say the 70th percentile consistently using Graduate Monkey while doing roughly 3 hours of work per day?

I feel like that sounds so much like a question pulled straight out of one of the exams haha.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks. I know this is going to be a really general and subjective (on me) question but, looking at the current scores I'm getting (link in my original post), how long do you think it would take to get to say the 70th percentile consistently using Graduate Monkey while doing roughly 3 hours of work per day?

I feel like that sounds so much like a question pulled straight out of one of the exams haha.
    To be honest, on Assessment Day I never got anywhere near 70th percentile but hardly ever have a problem with numerical tests for banks (apart from an off day). Try Graduate Monkey practice tests and see how you do - they are much more realistic, practically exact replicas.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, on Assessment Day I never got anywhere near 70th percentile but hardly ever have a problem with numerical tests for banks (apart from an off day). Try Graduate Monkey practice tests and see how you do - they are much more realistic, practically exact replicas.
    Ah okay, thanks for all the help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.