The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisjones
What did you end up getting?

I PM'd you :smile:
Reply 3801
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Oh, man, that's incredibly unlucky. Hope it all goes well for you. What did UCL say?

Thanks man. I rang UCL asap and they said all decisions are final, even though I did both AS and A2 maths in one year and I had medical extenuating circumstances which were only diagnosed after my exams but which affected me during my exams. I only had a short talk with the admissions tutor cos I didn't think there was any chance of her budging on that 1 UMS.

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
How were your other A levels? Did you do FM? Send them your UMS details. All is taken into consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I didn't do FM. I got A* in Welsh Bac and A's in biology and physics. Do you think its worth ringing them again and telling them my AS maths UMS (92% average) and bio/physics UMS details?

Original post by anonwinner
How did you decide which to send for remark? For example, what if one goes up by 5 but the other goes down by 5?

I just sent them both to increase my chances of getting 1 extra mark. Tbh I thought I would have done worse in C3 and better in C4, I was certain I got at least 94 UMS in C4. Lol if they go up by 5 in one and down by 5 in the other then I'll easily be the unluckiest guy on the planet
Original post by fha96
I just sent them both to increase my chances of getting 1 extra mark. Tbh I thought I would have done worse in C3 and better in C4, I was certain I got at least 94 UMS in C4. Lol if they go up by 5 in one and down by 5 in the other then I'll easily be the unluckiest guy on the planet

Good luck, that's so annoying that you missed by a single UMS, hopefully the remarks will push it up to A*
Original post by Aso816
Cheers and you how did you do

I got A*A*AA and an A in welsh bacc :smile:
Anyone thinking of applying to Kings for Economics&Mangement?
Lol, did you do OCR B physics? That exam board just doesn't play well with me.
I was happy with AQA this year, nice easy A* for Econ :cool:

Did you do ocr b physics? I just done the AS, only 2 people got A's out of 43 who sit it. Rest got C's and below lol including me
Anyone know if 5As at Scottish highers is good enough to consider applying to Cambridge for economics? I got 3A1s in maths, English and business and 2 A2s in history and French. Also this year for advanced highers I will be taking maths, business and french, and a higher in economics. Would be great for any tips, or any knowledge about applying to Cambridge or other top unis like UCL or Durham.
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Did you do ocr b physics? I just done the AS, only 2 people got A's out of 43 who sit it. Rest got C's and below lol including me

Yeah. I genuinely like the subject, I do. But I really dislike OCR's B spec, and that sort of led me to ignoring it once I got the offer from my firm, as they only asked for 3 instead of the 4 they have asked for in previous years.
Yeah. I genuinely like the subject, I do. But I really dislike OCR's B spec, and that sort of led me to ignoring it once I got the offer from my firm, as they only asked for 3 instead of the 4 they have asked for in previous years.

Yeah I like physics too but I hate ocr B and I think i could have done better on another board. How did you find the A2 part?

and what uni was your firm offer? :smile:
Yeah I like physics too but I hate ocr B and I think i could have done better on another board. How did you find the A2 part?

and what uni was your firm offer? :smile:

A2 is more interesting than AS, but it's plagued by the same problem of not being able to self study effectively from the resources provided by the board.
Warwick-A*AA
A2 is more interesting than AS, but it's plagued by the same problem of not being able to self study effectively from the resources provided by the board.
Warwick-A*AA

Damn, my teachers were kinda bad this year which meant that I did self study a lot and is the reason for my C grade :tongue: not too sure what i'll do for A2

Is there any reason as to why Warwick did not include the 4th a level in the offer?
Damn, my teachers were kinda bad this year which meant that I did self study a lot and is the reason for my C grade :tongue: not too sure what i'll do for A2

Is there any reason as to why Warwick did not include the 4th a level in the offer?

My friend, who's set to study maths at Warwick really pushed himself for physics this year, went from a B at AS to an A overall, so it is possible, but you need to really work at it.

They used to have it so it was A*AAB for those taking 4A2's and A*AAa for those who started 4 at AS and dropped one. But no other top uni did this, apart from LSE, who asked for an E in a 4th A2, so Warwick essentially had a higher offer than any other of the top 5.
A few weeks into this year's application cycle, they changed it to the standard A*AA that the other unis use.
UCL are being quite harsh this year if they didn't let you in with AAA with mitigating circumstances. I insured Warwick and they let me in with AAA:/ Also missed the A* in maths by 1 UMS ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mitzy09
UCL are being quite harsh this year if they didn't let you in with AAA with mitigating circumstances. I insured Warwick and they let me in with AAA:/ Also missed the A* in maths by 1 UMS ..

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your Warwick offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mitzy09

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did warwick let you in with AAA because of your mitigating circumstances?
Original post by icecreamcake
What was your Warwick offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did warwick let you in with AAA because of your mitigating circumstances?

No I didn't have any mitigating circumstances :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mitzy09
No I didn't have any mitigating circumstances :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right i misread your post, you were probably referring to the guy above?

I think warwick let you in because you were 1 ums off, which is nice of them unlike UCL :tongue:
Oh right i misread your post, you were probably referring to the guy above?

I think warwick let you in because you were 1 ums off, which is nice of them unlike UCL :tongue:

Yh I was referring to the above post.
Haha but tbf they didn't know I was only 1 UMS off, they let me in anyway (surprising I know) ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys. Congrats to all those who got into uni (especially the above who missed a* by 1 UMS - lucky)
How closely do ucl/lse look at AS grades. I got AAAD with a D in biology. I am also doing AS FM next year and if get a A I will have 4 good AS results. Will this hinder my application???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending