The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joey4live
I got AAAB at AS and I averaged 85+ ums in Further Maths and Econ but the college policy meant I wasn't predicted A*s in them.

I am predicted an A* in Maths so should I stop worrying so much?

Yeah you should be ok, just make sure your personal statement is killer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AChhabs0701
How's everyone's applications going? :biggrin:

Mines almost ready to go off woo! Hopefully should be sent by the end of the week at the latest :biggrin: you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 9A*s 2As at GCSEs, AAAA at AS: Maths, Econ, Geog and Psychology
I'm picking up EPQ, FM (AS) this year and my personal statement is very strong
I really want to get into UCL but my maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* in maths so it looks like I'll be applying with A*AA predictions... do I still have a shot?

Thx :smile:
Original post by emi1996
I have 9A*s 2As at GCSEs, AAAA at AS: Maths, Econ, Geog and Psychology
I'm picking up EPQ, FM (AS) this year and my personal statement is very strong
I really want to get into UCL but my maths teacher is refusing to predict me an A* in maths so it looks like I'll be applying with A*AA predictions... do I still have a shot?

Thx :smile:

Is there no way they'll predict you an a*? What ums did you have? UCL requires an A* in maths I think so that may be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wahrheit
Yeah honestly, spending a year in America would be SO awesome! I'm still not 100% sure yet lol but definitely Cambridge and UCL, what about you?

Definitely UCL and oxford! I think I will probably apply to Surrey and Nottingham for my other two universities but I keep changing my mind! Which university in America do you have your eye on?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Is there no way they'll predict you an a*? What ums did you have? UCL requires an A* in maths I think so that may be an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

c1: 84, c2: 95 and s1: 82
It's frustrating how predicted grades only reflect how 'kind' teachers are in each school :/
Original post by tomixox
Definitely UCL and oxford! I think I will probably apply to Surrey and Nottingham for my other two universities but I keep changing my mind! Which university in America do you have your eye on?

I live in Nottingham and I would definitely apply if I didn't live here, great city, great campus, just too close to home!

I've heard really great things about Chicago, but then again Columbia is in New York and I know I love New York, plus cheaper plane journeys because it's closer and more frequently travelled. Unlikely I'd go for UCLA, but I could definitely be persuaded and I reckon I could dig the LA lifestyle. So hard to choose! #gettingaheadofmyself

Do you have your eye on any of then in particular yourself?
Original post by emi1996
c1: 84, c2: 95 and s1: 82
It's frustrating how predicted grades only reflect how 'kind' teachers are in each school :/

Ergh that's so annoying because maths is only 90% average over c3 and c4 and in the c1 and c2 you're so close to that :frown: is there no way you can do any begging today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does someone have any knowledge about the European Baccalaureate?

I'm applying to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Nottingham.
I have:
95% Economics,History
90% Biology, Geography, Physical education
85% Maths, Second language(English), Dutch, Second lang. adv.
80% Physics, Philosophy

What are my chances...?
Original post by alexdieleman
Does someone have any knowledge about the European Baccalaureate?

I'm applying to UCL, LSE, Cambridge and Nottingham.
I have:
95% Economics,History
90% Biology, Geography, Physical education
85% Maths, Second language(English), Dutch, Second lang. adv.
80% Physics, Philosophy

What are my chances...?

Your best bet is to check the websites and if the info on it isn't there email departments directly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know whether Economics at Edinburgh is a BSc or a BA? It gives it as an MA (Masters) but I'd prefer a mathematical course than an essay writing one.
I live in Nottingham and I would definitely apply if I didn't live here, great city, great campus, just too close to home!

I've heard really great things about Chicago, but then again Columbia is in New York and I know I love New York, plus cheaper plane journeys because it's closer and more frequently travelled. Unlikely I'd go for UCLA, but I could definitely be persuaded and I reckon I could dig the LA lifestyle. So hard to choose! #gettingaheadofmyself

Do you have your eye on any of then in particular yourself?

Wow really? Yeah the city looks sooo nice! Literally I'm in the exact same boat as you - I would absolutely love either Chicago UCLA or Columbia! Also perhaps UPenn just because it's Ivy League and having any US university let alone the top ones would really stand out to employers I reckon.
I am just so stuck at the minute because I don't know whether to prioritise social and student life over job prospects when it comes to picking UK universities. Obviously I'm not going to be ridiculous and apply to somewhere like Liverpool (average for economics not dissing it) just because I want to party but at the same time I'm put off LSE because of the apparent lack of socialable students there! Nonetheless, the job prospects there are incredible! It's third in the world for economics which is obviously very very good!

Also, do you take further maths? I don't and that's also why I'm not too keen on LSE as I know how religious they are about taking Further Maths. It's even worse because my school offer it but I just couldn't be bothered to take it hahaha!

How were your AS and GCSE results if you don't mind me asking? Also what economic related extra cirricular
Have you done?
how competitive is the ucl economics and year abroad?

also are there no other opportunities to study abroad if I only applied for straight econ?
Original post by tomixox
Wow really? Yeah the city looks sooo nice! Literally I'm in the exact same boat as you - I would absolutely love either Chicago UCLA or Columbia! Also perhaps UPenn just because it's Ivy League and having any US university let alone the top ones would really stand out to employers I reckon.
I am just so stuck at the minute because I don't know whether to prioritise social and student life over job prospects when it comes to picking UK universities. Obviously I'm not going to be ridiculous and apply to somewhere like Liverpool (average for economics not dissing it) just because I want to party but at the same time I'm put off LSE because of the apparent lack of socialable students there! Nonetheless, the job prospects there are incredible! It's third in the world for economics which is obviously very very good!

Also, do you take further maths? I don't and that's also why I'm not too keen on LSE as I know how religious they are about taking Further Maths. It's even worse because my school offer it but I just couldn't be bothered to take it hahaha!

How were your AS and GCSE results if you don't mind me asking? Also what economic related extra cirricular
Have you done?

GCSE I got 7A*2A1B but I'm actually applying post A level (I'm 21) and I achieved 2A*(maths and further maths)A(biology)B(German) and I also got 2Bs in Chemistry and General studies AS. Now as you probably noticed, I didn't do economics (despite having the option to...yeah, oops, but it was a long time ago!) A level but I did further maths and in fact did two years of a maths degree at warwick haha, so I have evidence of my mathematical ability but not of my ability to actually do economics lol.

Similarly, though, I also want to go somewhere with a great social life and also with great career prospects, as I'm definitely viewing it all as a 'second chance' at uni. As I say though, I have number of inconsistencies in my application; namely that I've shown I can do maths but other than that it's not standout. Also the fact I did two years of one degree and then withdrew could show a lack of commitment, or it could be a sign that I'm mature and brave enough to recognise a failure and pursue my real interests, depending on how you look at it (and how good my personal statement is!).

Again I have a dearth of things in the 'economics extra-curricular' department, so we'll so how that goes lol
Original post by Username13

also are there no other opportunities to study abroad if I only applied for straight econ?

I remember reading somewhere that you can't change from straight econ to econ with a year abroad, which is why I'm applying to both! And yeah, I think it's pretty competitive
I remember reading somewhere that you can't change from straight econ to econ with a year abroad, which is why I'm applying to both! And yeah, I think it's pretty competitive

What are your grades if you don't mind sharing? gcse/as/predicted??
GCSE I got 7A*2A1B but I'm actually applying post A level (I'm 21) and I achieved 2A*(maths and further maths)A(biology)B(German) and I also got 2Bs in Chemistry and General studies AS. Now as you probably noticed, I didn't do economics (despite having the option to...yeah, oops, but it was a long time ago!) A level but I did further maths and in fact did two years of a maths degree at warwick haha, so I have evidence of my mathematical ability but not of my ability to actually do economics lol.

Similarly, though, I also want to go somewhere with a great social life and also with great career prospects, as I'm definitely viewing it all as a 'second chance' at uni. As I say though, I have number of inconsistencies in my application; namely that I've shown I can do maths but other than that it's not standout. Also the fact I did two years of one degree and then withdrew could show a lack of commitment, or it could be a sign that I'm mature and brave enough to recognise a failure and pursue my real interests, depending on how you look at it (and how good my personal statement is!).

Again I have a dearth of things in the 'economics extra-curricular' department, so we'll so how that goes lol

Ohhhh right! I am actually thinking of perhaps applying to Warwick - did you enjoy it? How was it for social life? I've heard Warwick the city is quite boring but obviously the university is so good for economics!

UCL in it's self is very popular both nationally and internationally therefore difficult to get into. Economics is one of the most of the most competed for courses at UCL - I think it's the second behind architecture. The year abroad course only has 20 spaces so of course is very very competitive. As a result, I'm applying to both straight economics and economics with a year abroad. Not because it will strengthen my chances but because it's safer than just applying to the Economics with a year abroad!
Reply 418
Will a B in maths (2 UMS off an A) ruin my chances of getting accepted for Economics at Nottingham/Bristol even if I'm predicted an A*AA? Also, how important is further maths for these unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your grades if you don't mind sharing? gcse/as/predicted??

No I don't mind at all, just read the post above the one you quoted :biggrin:

Original post by tomixox
Ohhhh right! I am actually thinking of perhaps applying to Warwick - did you enjoy it? How was it for social life? I've heard Warwick the city is quite boring but obviously the university is so good for economics!

If I'm honest I hated it haha, it would been relatively easy for me to transfer to do economics at warwick instead of withdrawing from the university but decided against it, partly because I wanted a fresh start somewhere else but partly because I really, really dislike the place. Most of the people I know haven't even seen Warwick the place, students tend to live in leamington after the first year which is a 30 minute bus ride with no traffic, or canley which is on the outskirts of coventry and is walkable, but it takes a while. There are I think 4 clubs in leamington and 1 (that people go to!) in coventry. The one in coventry is far and away the best. To be honest I think generally the social life is 'ok', the halls in first year are a very sociable lay out with them all being self catered. There's just nothing to do there though, not without travelling to Birmingham or something!

Quick Reply

Latest