Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am attempting to do my dissertation on something relating to the British empire but I have no idea what to doooo
    Can anyone make any suggestions to start me off?
    I really have no train of thought currently
    I just know I enjoyed learning about the emergence of the british empire this year

ReputationRep:
    The area with the largest scope for study of the British Empire is surrounding it's growth during the 19th century, the links to industrialisation within Britain, the impact upon British society itself and the short/long term impact of colonialism

ReputationRep:
    The impact upon British society is a topic with has been covered quite a lot tbh.
    I like the other ideas you have suggested especially the short and long term impact of colonialism.
    I just feel like I have no direction as to where I want to go with my dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    The impact of colonialism would allow you to explore specific case studies such as India, South Africa and Hong Kong (to name the most notable three)

Clearly in terms of direction it needs to be a topic you are either a. Extremely knowledgeable or b. extremely interested in

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know...
    Possibly mostly interested in India!

ReputationRep:
    Well why not make India your focal point, examining the development of an 'imperial culture', systems of governance and the importing of 'British culture'- what ever you deem that to be, impact upon the Indians themselves (short and long term) and any conflicts which arose as a result of this

In turn you could draw comparisons and differences to other areas of the empire in which colonies were established and how the above points were implemented and the results of this?

ReputationRep:
    Influence of the Royal Navy?

ReputationRep:
    British empire in relation to past empires.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from any type of factual account you need to adopt some type of perspective preferably one that is in vogue.

ReputationRep:
    Aww thank you!! I know it seems obvious what you just said but like when I am panicing I can't seem to rationalize thoughts!! Thanks for the direction!!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it helps to ask the perspective of someone completely separate from the whole process who can rationalise thoughts, i'm sure once you get started it will all come together, good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH10221-R)
    Aww thank you!! I know it seems obvious what you just said but like when I am panicing I can't seem to rationalize thoughts!! Thanks for the direction!!
    hey, if you're still looking for ideas there are loads of British Empire essays that people have uploaded onto TSR here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/lear...%5B%5D=history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SH10221-R)
    Yeah I know...
    Possibly mostly interested in India!
    There is an awful lot of history that hasn't been researched and hasn't been written.

As anyone will tell you if you ever do a PhD, the key is getting a subject down to manageable proportions.

There were about 800 native states in the Indian Empire. Every one of them has a distinct political history in relation to British India/the India Office.

Pick a small one and write its history.

The reality is that until you write its history, Wikipedia probably is the leading account.

No theories; no fancy ideas. Just names, dates and places history that is not available anywhere else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.