Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I've decide to take a gap year and apply to universities next year so I can focus on getting the grades and really understand what I want to do before I commit to anything; but this year I've been dead-set on medicine so I'm hoping to learn more about it before I commit myself just to make sure it is for me.

I've wanted to learn a new language for years now, chose GCSE French and tried that but I didn't really enjoy it, and just recently I've been looking into Japanese and it looks like a daunting but fun language to learn how to speak/write? I also came across (http://www.lattitude.org.uk/where-can-i-go/japan/) which is where you can volunteer at hospitals in Japan, so I'd have a gap year plan and a reason to learn Japanese but also a way to apply it!

I was thinking of doing bits and pieces this year alongside my A2's, not massive amounts but definitely using it as a hobby after I've had a long night of Bio/Chem revision, and I was just wondering if this sounds like an all right idea? I've looked at the JLPT and I'd probably try and sit the N5/N4 in 2015, depending on where I'm at?

If anybody has any help or just a 'this is a terrible idea mate' then please tell me, but I am looking to fill my summer with something other than super curricular reading on the neuro-behavioural approach. So I was looking at Japanese? (Oh and this placement is for6 months, so it'd fill up the majority of my gap year, and I'm sure it'd be an absolutely brilliant experience regardless of what I decide to apply for)

Oh and, just to lengthen this already massive post, I'm doing Biology/Chemistry A2, Geography AS (or another, I'm not decided yet) and possibly some Maths resits, since I did Maths AS&A2 this year; but I'm remaining optimistic for results day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.