The Student Room Group

The Commonwealth Games - BBC1 8pm

Scroll to see replies

Well, it is the 'Friendly Games', after all.
Cool kid representing wales with his google glass
can someone tell me why US isnt participating. They were too once our territory.
Reply 43
Best moment of the ceremony when they played Aphex Twin to Guernsey coming out, couldn't believe it! But other than that, its all been a bit crap tbh, that screen is amazing, but the rest of the ceremony a bit crap and cringeworthy.
Original post by GnomeMage
can someone tell me why US isnt participating. They were too once our territory.

http://thecommonwealth.org/member-countries
Reply 45
I didn't even know there'd be an opening ceremony for the commonwealth games, it hasn't really been hyped. Did I miss anything?
Original post by Ndella
I didn't even know there'd be an opening ceremony for the commonwealth games, it hasn't really been hyped. Did I miss anything?

A few dogs, walking teacakes and a lot of tartan
Reply 47
Original post by the-black-lotus
A few dogs, walking teacakes and a lot of tartan

Good to know I didn't miss anything in that case lol, typical Scotland :tongue:
Original post by Ndella

I think so, I thought it was fantastic. Right laugh; lovely performance; very entertaining. Yeah, it does focus a lot on Scottish stereotypes (I could do with less tunnocks and Nessie), but there's some fantastic celebrations of culture in there, and it's definitely left me proud to host the Commonwealth Games in 2014!
Always great to see the athletes out there enjoying themselves, too. And hey, we employed the biggest screen that's ever been used in Europe!
Reply 50
I loved it.

Now for England to win all the Gold Medals! :u:
It was a bit **** and cringe, but I actually liked the fact it was. Shows glasgow in perfect light, a city that just likes to have a bit of fun.
(edited 9 years ago)
The ceremony. The thing I can't understand, is why do people have to ram their culture down your throats? Within the first 30 seconds it was so Scottish it was unbelievable. Every stereotype associated with Scottish culture, from the kilt to bagpipes was in the ceremonies. And that Barrowman kiss, we know you're gay mate, no need for that.

It was just horrible, so so cringeworthy. Don't they realise some English people watching that will dislike them more? For the first time I felt a bit better about independence, and I've always opposed it up to this point. You're not Scottish, you're British.

I should say I only watched the first two minutes, it was all I could take.
Original post by Eboracum
The ceremony. The thing I can't understand, is why do people have to ram their culture down your throats? Within the first 30 seconds it was so Scottish it was unbelievable. Every stereotype associated with Scottish culture, from the kilt to bagpipes was in the ceremonies. And that Barrowman kiss, we know you're gay mate, no need for that.

It was just horrible, so so cringeworthy. Don't they realise some English people watching that will dislike them more? For the first time I felt a bit better about independence, and I've always opposed it up to this point. You're not Scottish, you're British.

Unfortunately, the Glasgow Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony did not set out with the aim "let's try our best to please the English, okay guys?" There are 71 countries in the Commonwealth, it's not all about England. It's a celebration of Scottish culture (just like London 2012 chose to celebrate English and British culture), a welcome to the other countries, and a message of equality and unity.

And that Barrowman kiss, we know you're gay mate, no need for that

And that's exactly why the choreographers chose to include it in the ceremony. No one's looking at the national dancers sharing their kiss saying "we know you're straight mate, no need for that". It's an expression of support for LGBT rights and the recent same-sex marriage bill in a Commonwealth where a majority of countries treat homosexuality as a crime.
Original post by Eboracum

Except the host country for the Commonwealth Games is SCOTLAND. So it does make entire sense to promote Scottish culture. Plus for the Games we're competing as England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland, not as Great Britain.

And kilts aren't just a stereotype, people do honestly wear kilts here.
Saw that it's still illegal to be gay in the majority of countries competing and the first Scottish gay marriages will take place in autumn after legislation was passed in February this year by Scottish Parliament to allow same sex marriage so it was very apt, imo.
Reply 56
I think England have won their first GOLD!
I was pretty happy when I saw John Barrowman's kiss, it was a very nice way to show support for equality
Original post by plasmaman
Afraid of the competition mate :smile:
You can't deny it she was scorching last night

What? She is not good looking in the slightest.
Original post by Last Day Lepers
What? She is not good looking in the slightest.

Are you joking?

Quick Reply

Latest