The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Done the exam this morning, thought it was relatively OK. Essay question was alright. Ran out of time and had to scribble in randomly for the last 7 I'd say, and obviously couldn't answer all of them correct because I thought some were ridiculous. Really worried about my mark though. Does anyone know how the raw marks and acceptance rates work - as well as interview rates. I've seen some post some ideas but does anyone have a credible source or an educated guess on how they are.

I feel like I will only get like 55 marks but could be doing the usual and over worrying. But is there absolutely no chance of getting in if you don't do as well as others? Like do they sit down and not even consider people who got below a certain mark??

PLEASE REPLY
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello, everyone!

I'm an Experimental Psychology applicant (I haven't seen any of those lately; feel free to PM me!)
The college that's been allocated to me is St. Hilda's. My application was an 'open' application, and the randomized software therefore shunted my application to a college that's not in much...demand? In any case, not complaining here. Not very appreciative, though.

So I'm an Indian student of class 12, and my focus is, and always has been, my year-end board examination. I applied to the UK because I didn't want to regret it later. Needless to say, Oxford in general and the TSA in particular were never really precedent for me.

I ordered Butterworth and Thwaites just a couple of days ago, and I sat down to prepare for the TSA just yesterday. (:3)
I solved JUST two sample papers, and scored around 25-30 in both of them. However, I came across some REALLY crucial tips (a couple, actually) that were really helpful today. When I got my paper, I did all my CT questions first and then came to Problem Solving. I think that was a really helpful strategy, as my flow of logic and reason didn't get interrupted by silly calculations. (Math has NEVER been my forte, and CT and writing were my 'strengths,' so to speak)

Okay. Today's paper. Definitely NOT short, but not that lengthy. Of course, it was exhaustive and probably more exhaustive than the last year's TSA paper, but nothing that couldn't be tackled with time management. I completed my CT section fairly comfortably, but the PS section took time. It wasn't that difficult, though, and if I could waddle through that section without a panic attack, you would all find it JUST fine.

Stop worrying about it, stop taking it as something stressful, and just enjoy tackling questions that *force* you to think and if you select the writing option I chose, force you to introspect as well. Have fun!
Original post by seblucken
Done the exam this morning, thought it was relatively OK. Essay question was alright. Ran out of time and had to scribble in randomly for the last 7 I'd say, and obviously couldn't answer all of them correct because I thought some were ridiculous. Really worried about my mark though. Does anyone know how the raw marks and acceptance rates work - as well as interview rates. I've seen some post some ideas but does anyone have a credible source or an educated guess on how they are.

I feel like I will only get like 55 marks but could be doing the usual and over worrying. But is there absolutely no chance of getting in if you don't do as well as others? Like do they sit down and not even consider people who got below a certain mark??

PLEASE REPLY

Firstly, just out of curiosity, which essay did you do?

Secondly, getting more than 64% means you almost certainly will be interviewed. If you get lower your chances get lower but it depends on your other documents I guess like grades, personal statement and references.

As I have heard it also depends on course you applied to.
Original post by Whocares1
Firstly, just out of curiosity, which essay did you do?

Secondly, getting more than 64% means you almost certainly will be interviewed. If you get lower your chances get lower but it depends on your other documents I guess like grades, personal statement and references.

As I have heard it also depends on course you applied to.

I understand we're not allowed to say what the questions are on here until tomorrow [specific details removed] is all I can say I guess haha.
Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Not sure how I feel reading this before my test....
Original post by Askaud
Thought that was pretty average in terms of difficulty. Was a bit tight for time cos I wasted time early on due to a few nerves. Inevitably got some wrong but I'm happy enough. Just have to wait and see now

I'll have to agree with that. It was hard, but no harder than 2013/2012. The stress of it being the real thing, however, did make me waste more time than usual and probably mess up quite a few questions.
Left 5 questions in P1 blank - no time :/
Expecting a mid 30 - that's like 65ish?
Hope I get that, anyways.

Okay real reason I posted:
I wouldn't call my center ideal... powercut in between the exams, music playing from one of the floors below just to name a few.
It wasn't extremely disruptive, broke the flow of thought though and I forgot what I was thinking of while writing the essay.
I'm pissed off at the exam center for not taking into account certain things which they could have considered while picking the location.

So what do you guys think? I contact Cambridge Assessment and complain or just keep shut?
Original post by seblucken

PLEASE REPLY

For PPE, Brasenose has told me that the average TSA score of successful applicants was in the low to mid 60s percentage wise, which would be >30/50. Depending on the conversion, I would not see why that, theoretically, cannot turn out to be 55 post-conversion.
Original post by philerus
For PPE, Brasenose has told me that the average TSA score of successful applicants was in the low to mid 60s percentage wise, which would be >30/50. Depending on the conversion, I would not see why that, theoretically, cannot turn out to be 55 post-conversion.

How did you find out the TSA score statistics for particular colleges?
Why can't I find any for Hertford E&M.

Would you be so kind as to help me out and/or guide me to the source of your info?
Original post by Baalaje31

I wouldn't call my center ideal... powercut in between the exams, music playing from one of the floors below just to name a few.
It wasn't extremely disruptive, broke the flow of thought though and I forgot what I was thinking of while writing the essay.
I'm pissed off at the exam center for not taking into account certain things which they could have considered while picking the location.

So what do you guys think? I contact Cambridge Assessment and complain or just keep shut?

I don't Cambridge Assessment will be able to do anything about it, but it will definitely not hurt to call, if only for the benefit of your nerves.However, I highly doubt they will do anything, so you might as well not phone.

My school had similar problems. On the one hand, I was told the Senior Mistress had patrolled the area around the exam room to keep it quiet, but I also hear her screaming her head off on the phone in her office, which was just next door to the exam room... Needless to say, it was quite distracting.
How did you find out the TSA score statistics for particular colleges?
Why can't I find any for Hertford E&M.

Would you be so kind as to help me out and/or guide me to the source of your info?

I can definitely help. I did not find any statistics on the web either, so I just emailed the college and asked them. Hope that helps :smile:

the examiners phone went off in ours and one of the guys sitting the BMAT needed a piss but there was only one examiner. It was pretty shady tbh, we started late.

I thought the essay was good, the multi choice was rock solid hard.
I don't Cambridge Assessment will be able to do anything about it, but it will definitely not hurt to call, if only for the benefit of your nerves.However, I highly doubt they will do anything, so you might as well not phone.

My school had similar problems. On the one hand, I was told the Senior Mistress had patrolled the area around the exam room to keep it quiet, but I also hear her screaming her head off on the phone in her office, which was just next door to the exam room... Needless to say, it was quite distracting.

Original post by samthemiller
the examiners phone went off in ours and one of the guys sitting the BMAT needed a piss but there was only one examiner. It was pretty shady tbh, we started late.

I thought the essay was good, the multi choice was rock solid hard.

Wow, don't ATS have certain rules for centers?

I can definitely help. I did not find any statistics on the web either, so I just emailed the college and asked them. Hope that helps :smile:

Sure does, thank you!
Wow, don't ATS have certain rules for centers?

Sure does, thank you!

Yes it definitely does, but when only 10 people are sitting an exam they seem to be a bit more chilled. Not like we could chat and trade answers or anything. She gave us an extra few minutes because of her phone distracting us which I think they can do at their discretion? Didn't need it though, just re read my essay
Is there a minimum that needs to be writtwb for the essay? I heard the advice keep it concise and went too far I think. Wrote about 300 words. Assuming its all structured well and has examples etc, would this be a problem?
Original post by JFKennedy97
Is there a minimum that needs to be writtwb for the essay? I heard the advice keep it concise and went too far I think. Wrote about 300 words. Assuming its all structured well and has examples etc, would this be a problem?

that... that is not very much

I probs did about 1000 words?

did you get enough content in in that?
Original post by anonwinner
2009 Q32.

This is a hard question. The way I did it was by seeing how many other stations each station directly connected to (without passing through another station).

In A, B, D, and E, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 2 of the stations directly connect with 2 other stations. In C, 1 of the stations directly connects with 4 other stations, 4 of the stations directly connect with 3 other stations, and 1 of the stations directly connects with 2 other stations.

The answer is C.

2011 Q30.

The Rovers have played and won all 4 games. United and County each only have 1 loss, this must have been against the Rovers because they won all their games. This means that the match between United and County was definitely a draw, so it was either A or D.

United has won 2 games, and scored 2 goals. It must have scored at least 1 goal in each of the games it won (or else they would have drew or lost). Therefore they scored 0 goals in their game against County, and because it was a draw, County also scored 0 goals.

The answer is A, United 0 County 0

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 697
Original post by samthemiller
that... that is not very much

I probs did about 1000 words?

How on earth did you write 1000 on just two sides? Are you sure you're judging yourself accurately? 300 sounds about right...
Original post by Froydel
How on earth did you write 1000 on just two sides? Are you sure you're judging yourself accurately? 300 sounds about right...

I filled the two sides completely, and i would say that it is definitely more than 300 words. I would say around 700, as a guesstimate.
Had 14 minutes left for the last 10 questions and went frantic, guessed a few and worked a few out. Checking with some people afterwards who had time to work them out, seems as though I managed to guess the right answers!

With that being said, it was pretty dreadful throughout. Still confident that I'll get into the sixties though; I prepared, I ate blueberries, bananas, apples and drank coffee. You name it and I did it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending