The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Birmingham City University - Business Managment?

Sooo, im starting the Business and Management degree this september. So incredibly excited!

Anyone else doing this course? Would be good to make a few friends before starting so we all dont feel so alone!

:smile:
Will be carrying out my third year on placement this year.

First year is a doddle btw so nothing to worry about :P Any specific questions you wanna ask feel free to do so :smile:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by AzaHinton93
Will be carrying out my third year on placement this year.

First year is a doddle btw so nothing to worry about :P Any specific questions you wanna ask feel free to do so :smile:

Brilliant thank u!

Firstly, what is the accounting module like? This is my weakest subject and im really hoping there is no exams involved!
Original post by Kirstie.lea
Brilliant thank u!

Firstly, what is the accounting module like? This is my weakest subject and im really hoping there is no exams involved!

The accounting module had both a exam and a 3,000 word report. The exam is very easy, you will find a lot of the questions you will know the answers to as the lecturer will focus specifically on questions in the test. (test paper is so similar to the real thing) Had a mate who actually managed to get 97% so nothing to worry about.

The report consisted of 3 parts;

A: Stock Game Journal - In this you take part in a stock market simulation that is reflective of the real life stock market. (http://game.lse.co.uk/) You simply make a journal discussing your reasons for buying and selling shares e.g. there are reports in the news of a company being taken over in the future so you bought shares or there is a positive trend in a share price so you decide to buy. At the end of the journal you then give a reflective statement talking about your overall experience taking part in the stock game.

B: Company Ratios - In this part you choose a company in the stock market and calculate the ratios (there are sites that calculate them for you making it easy). You compare the company based over a 2 year period. You then describe what each ratios is e.g. quick ratio, gearing ratio and discuss it in relation to your chosen company. You are simply describing with a small bit of analysis.

C: Multiple Scenarios: Don't remember a great deal of this section but it wasn't too bad once you read up on the scenarios/questions that are asked of you.

The university understands that you are not choosing to do an accounting and finance course so the module isn't too difficult, the content is very basic. If you are given the same assignment I would recommend making notes and keeping track of sources used for your stock game journal as you make purchases and sales as its an absolute nightmare trying to remember why you decided to buy shares in a company months after you did so lol.

Any more questions?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
The accounting module had both a exam and a 3,000 word report. The exam is very easy, you will find a lot of the questions you will know the answers to as the lecturer will focus specifically on questions in the test. (test paper is so similar to the real thing) Had a mate who actually managed to get 97% so nothing to worry about.

A: Stock Game Journal - In this you take part in a stock market simulation that is reflective of the real life stock market. (http://game.lse.co.uk/) You simply make a journal discussing your reasons for buying and selling shares e.g. there are reports in the news of a company being taken over in the future so you bought shares or there is a positive trend in a share price so you decide to buy. At the end of the journal you then give a reflective statement talking about your overall experience taking part in the stock game.

B: Company Ratios - In this part you choose a company in the stock market and calculate the ratios (there are sites that calculate them for you making it easy). You compare the company based over a 2 year period. You then describe what each ratios is e.g. quick ratio, gearing ratio and discuss it in relation to your chosen company. You are simply describing with a small bit of analysis.

C: Multiple Scenarios: Don't remember a great deal of this section but it wasn't too bad once you read up on the scenarios/questions that are asked of you.

The university understands that you are not choosing to do an accounting and finance course so the module isn't too difficult, the content is very basic. If you are given the same assignment I would recommend making notes and keeping track of sources used for your stock game journal as you make purchases and sales as its an absolute nightmare trying to remember why you decided to buy shares in a company months after you did so lol.

Any more questions?

Oh wow thank u!! Very detailed lol.

I should be ok then, i hope haha.

So, where is your placement? What was it like trying to get one??

How much were you physically at the university a week in lectures or classes?
Reply 5

Any more questions?

Also, do u study each modules separately, hand in the work & do the test & then move on to the next module or do you study more than one at a time?
(edited 9 years ago)
I left applying my placement very late. I applied for two jobs in total which were both at BCU for 2 different roles. I was offered both which was really great. If you apply from very early on and your persistent then you will get interviews. I didn't start applying until late May so it's ever too late to give up, there are always opportunities available. You will be at lectures about 8-12 hours a week. More than likely 10 though. When you approach deadlines you will probably find that its best to go library with people on your course, always working on modules alone can be mentally draining and of course in groups you can help eachother.

In the first year you study 4 modules at one time including two 30 credit modules (will work on this term one and two) and two 15 credit modules (you will have two modules before christmas and two after christmas.) The two exams we had were both before christmas, one was the accounting and the other was one where you was given the question before the test and could take in the the answer for the question into the exam. (So pretty much just had to copy it into the exam book from plain paper which imo was stupid lol) Some of the modules will have group work though so they aren't all individual assignments.

First term of year was as follows ;

Accounting and finance : exam
Marketing : Group presentation and option to work on individual work ( I didn't start the individual work till quite late)
Management module (30 credit) : exam before christmas and group work after christmas
Economics : Group work
Reply 7
Thank you!

I have also requested a reading list from the uni. I received it and there is loads on it! Would coat me a fortune to buy them all. Are there any that you would recommend to buy or that can be seen as vital? Thank you
Don't know anyone who has bought books and ive just finished 2nd year. Try and pick up what books you can from the library. Your expected to use a wide range of sources (not so much first year) so no need buying books.

Library and online journals should serve you well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending