Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone done a placement year as part of their degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in doing one when I'm at uni despite the fact right now I have limited career aspirations right now which may make it seem a tad pointless...I can't think of very many ideas right now, and though I'm sure I'd work out my options once I get there, I'm interested as to what sort of jobs students do, anyone like to share? I'd be particularly interested if it was one for part of a humanities degree, as opposed to a placement year for Engineering where its pretty much required.

What did you do, did you find it helpful for future job hunting, did you like it, and (most importantly) did you get paid?

ReputationRep:
    If you have no idea literally just apply for anything that looks interesting enough. It's the best thing i've ever done. It's not required in chemistry, but like engineering it's a much more obvious thing than a humanities subject. You get paid for STEM internships, definitely. I only got minimum wage, but it helps clear out the overdraft. My housemate got £19k! It's nice to not be sat in a lecture hall, and actually out doing/learning/meeting people.

I don't know if/what you'll find for full placements - most humanities people i've known have done summer internships mainly. I guess just google hard. Your degree can probably be used in quite a few different areas, that just take people from any sort of graduate background. Do you have any specific interests? Also, with your course I guess you'd have to take a year out completely from the degree to do a full year - it's entirely worthwhile, but something just to keep in mind that people in your year will have potentially graduated, or you actually might "fall out of the habit". I do think people come back after a year out more focused than before though, because there's more positivity, better idea of what you want to do and so on.

I work in an area of the industry i'd never heard of before I started looking for a placement, in a role I never knew existed. It's helped me discover more options that are out there, and it's an easy way to try out if you like a role/industry knowing you'll be gone in 12 months etc. - also applying abroad, if you ever fancy moving somewhere abroad then it's an easy way to try it for a year.

Speak to your careers dept. as well, they might have some ideas of various schemes that they've come across.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.