Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I am getting a new phone soon. I am thinking about getting an iPhone and I was wondering:

-Are iPhones reliable?

-What is the difference between a 5c and 5s?

-Are they good all-round phones?
    -with good camera features?
    -with good memory space?
    -with a good battery life?

-Any other helpful comments to help me decide whether it is worth getting an iPhone 5c or an iPhone 5s.

Thank you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    -Are iPhones reliable?
    Yes.

The iPhone 5C is essentially the year older iPhone 5 rehoused in a plastic body. Compared to the 5S it's generally a step down in specs- inferior processor, inferior camera, inferior build quality. The 5S will get at least an extra year of OS support.

-Are they good all-round phones?
    Yes.

-with good camera features?
    Yes.

-with good memory space?
    Depends entirely how much you need. If you want a few apps and a small music collection, 16GB is fine, if you need more then the prices jump dramatically. One key drawback compared to competing Android phones is no options with expandable storage via microSD.

-with a good battery life?
    Pretty much in line with most premium smartphones.

-Any other helpful comments to help me decide whether it is worth getting an iPhone 5c or an iPhone 5s.

Thank you in advance!
    I'd say don't buy either just yet, we're only a few months away from the next iPhone(s) being launched when you'll at least get a better price on the current ones. The 5C is essentially two years old tech at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yes.

The iPhone 5C is essentially the year older iPhone 5 rehoused in a plastic body. Compared to the 5S it's generally a step down in specs- inferior processor, inferior camera, inferior build quality. The 5S will get at least an extra year of OS support.

Yes.

Yes.

Depends entirely how much you need. If you want a few apps and a small music collection, 16GB is fine, if you need more then the prices jump dramatically. One key drawback compared to competing Android phones is no options with expandable storage via microSD.

Pretty much in line with most premium smartphones.

I'd say don't buy either just yet, we're only a few months away from the next iPhone(s) being launched when you'll at least get a better price on the current ones. The 5C is essentially two years old tech at this point.
    Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    My contracts almost up and I'm also looking to get an iPhone 5c or 5s. They're reliable phones and at the end of 2 years my iPhone 4s works well though it's ability to hold charge has significantly decreased but that's to be expected with any phone. I'm sort of steering more towards the iPhone 5c mainly due to price (EE are offering no up front cost unlimited minutes and texts + 2GB for £23.99) and I doubt it's going to get much cheaper than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleangel9914)
    My contracts almost up and I'm also looking to get an iPhone 5c or 5s. They're reliable phones and at the end of 2 years my iPhone 4s works well though it's ability to hold charge has significantly decreased but that's to be expected with any phone. I'm sort of steering more towards the iPhone 5c mainly due to price (EE are offering no up front cost unlimited minutes and texts + 2GB for £23.99) and I doubt it's going to get much cheaper than this.
    How much is the iPhone 5s?

ReputationRep:
    Would wait until September/October when the 5S and 5C get a price drop and 6 releases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Would wait until September/October when the 5S and 5C get a price drop and 6 releases.
    That's the problem - I can't wait until then because my contract runs out next month.

ReputationRep:
    This is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    This is all.

jesus christ that was painful viewing

ReputationRep:
    One thing is for sure...

You're going to buy 10 chargers throughout the time you own one lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem - I can't wait until then because my contract runs out next month.
    Does it have to be an iPhone?

If you can't wait till September there are some other alternatives...

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

I am getting a new phone soon. I am thinking about getting an iPhone and I was wondering:

-Are iPhones reliable?

-Are they good all-round phones? yes, for the average user. If you're not interested in customising it's great.

-with good camera features? the iphone has a really good camera actually, the 5 had a massive issue with the lens but 5c might have this problem fixed

-with good memory space? - nope, 1000 songs is about 1/3 of your memory gone (based on 16gb which in reality is about 12ish)

-with a good battery life? you'll struggle to get a full day. If you plan on watching videos and things you'll get about 2-3 hours. light usage could get you through the day though like texts, snapchats, twitter, fb a couple of youtube videos but netflix and things are out of the question really unless you're next to a charger

Thank you in advance!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ^ answered in quote

I'm in a similar boat as you. DO NOT buy one it until the keynote in September, you'd be making a huge mistake since the 5s will cost around the same as the 5c now but with better specifications. The difference between the 5c and 5s is little in terms of specification so if you're really desperate you can get it but honestly don't. Between the 5s and 6, you might aswell get the 5s. If you can just buy a £10 for like a month and then throw it away once you've upgraded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scratchyjam)
    Does it have to be an iPhone?

If you can't wait till September there are some other alternatives...
    I really like iPhones... I was considering the HTC One M8, or possibly Samsung Galaxy S5 / Sony Xperia Z2 / LG G3…

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idelaghetto)
    ^ answered in quote

I'm in a similar boat as you. DO NOT buy one it until the keynote in September, you'd be making a huge mistake since the 5s will cost around the same as the 5c now but with better specifications. The difference between the 5c and 5s is little in terms of specification so if you're really desperate you can get it but honestly don't. Between the 5s and 6, you might aswell get the 5s. If you can just buy a £10 for like a month and then throw it away once you've upgraded
    Okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    One thing is for sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How much is the iPhone 5s?
    The cheapest decent contract I've seen so far was £33 a month on O2 I think.
    Also I think people greatly over exaggerate how bad the battery life. When I first bought my iPhone 4s it would easily last 2-3 days with light usage (Facebook, texting, music player etc) this has now decreased to just under 1 day but it's almost 2 years old. Also I'd say if your watching things it's more like 4-6 hours as I've watched multiple Downton Abbey episodes in a row in the past and each episode lasts about 1hour 30min. So unless there's been a major change in the size/type of battery it shouldn't be that bad.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    One thing is for sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you tried the amazons basics charger? They're really good and cheaper than apple ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really like iPhones... I was considering the HTC One M8, or possibly Samsung Galaxy S5 / Sony Xperia Z2 / LG G3…

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough. I'd definitely look into those other phones before you make any decisions. What do you want from your phone btw?

ReputationRep:
    You could go on a 30 day sim only plan for a bit like GiffGaff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    You could go on a 30 day sim only plan for a bit like GiffGaff?
    Good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 25, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.