Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need Answers for Project Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

Basically I have a Sociology project over summer looking at the media's effect on people's views and opinions of others.

There's a set of questions for males and a set for females, and it would be great if you would take literally 2 minutes to answer :P

Males:
    Would you date a girl who isn't skinny but isn't like, morbidly obese, so about a size 14 - 16? If no, why?

Would you date a girl with higher ambitions than yourself? If no, why?

What is your opinion on photoshop and it's uses?

Females:
    Would you lose weight because of someone else? Who?

Do you think that the media has had an effect on your ambitions? Positove or negative?

Thanks a lot in advance!!! :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Female)
    Would you lose weight because of someone else? Who? Nope. But then again, I am not overweight.

Do you think that the media has had an effect on your ambitions? Positove or negative? Neither. I want to do what I am studying because I love it so much, I don't care about what other people think, or that there aren't many women in STEM degrees.

What is your opinion on photoshop and it's uses? It's fine, until you make someone look like what they're not i.e. skinnier/bigger-chested. If I were on the front page of a magazine I would want any blemishes/unruly hair/spots to be photoshopped out.

Thanks a lot in advance!!! :-D

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a woman, but I would lose weight based on a person who was well known around my local area, and had a short documentary series of about three episodes dedicated to her, as she was THE most overweight person at the time in the UK, and she later died from complications related to her obesity. (I think it was due to a heart attack and a stroke).

ReputationRep:
    I would only lose weight for myself or if my doctor told me to.

I think the media has had a positive effect on my ambitions - Seeing what I could have and achieve has made me more ambitious.

I think photoshop is only good for making gifs and making photographs look better. I don't like when it makes somebody look like a completely different person, but a bit of airbrushing is ok if the person likes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ami_Ginger_Cake)
    Hey!

Males:
    Would you date a girl who isn't skinny but isn't like, morbidly obese, so about a size 14 - 16? If no, why?

Yes. In my opinion their personality and outlook on life is more important.

Would you date a girl with higher ambitions than yourself? If no, why?

Yes, but only if she didn't force those ambitions upon me as I'm unsure on where I want to go with life and being pushed to make a choice wouldn't do any good. But yes, and I'd support her with her ambitions and dreams.

I think used in moderation it can be a good thing - it makes pictures look more glossy and impressive but I don't believe it should be used in advertising as it sets unnaturally high standards which some people attempt to live up to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The project you're doing reminds me of an essay I had to write for media studies about the Dove adverts and its effects on the perception of beauty. I hope this helps anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alistair404)
    The project you're doing reminds me of an essay I had to write for media studies about the Dove adverts and its effects on the perception of beauty. I hope this helps anyway
    Yeah it does sound very similar. I'm basically looking at how the media alters our perception of others and to what extent it effects very average topics, rather than heavily discussed ones such as confidence, etcetera.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, could do with a few more as it is a large section of my final outcome :-P

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.