Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shoulder problem when running, especially when sprinting Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I run or sprint my right shoulder hurts a lot in a specific line along the front. It hurts so much I normally have to stop and support my right arm. I have started lifting again recently but this didn't happen before.
    Any suggestions for stretches would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    might be weak rotator cuffs so the vibration of you running starts to cause pain. Shoulder rotations with a dumbbell or cable machine might help, as will running on grass or getting new running shoes with proper support.

make sure you open up your chest and stay straight up when you jog, if you feel your shoulders rolling forward so you're in a kyphotic stance it might worsen the vibration effect. If you have a foam roller you can use that to open up your back, or try shoulder dislocations with a broomstick or resistance band (don't worry it's just a name, obviously you don't actually dislocate your shoulder. google it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    might be weak rotator cuffs so the vibration of you running starts to cause pain. Shoulder rotations with a dumbbell or cable machine might help, as will running on grass or getting new running shoes with proper support.

make sure you open up your chest and stay straight up when you jog, if you feel your shoulders rolling forward so you're in a kyphotic stance it might worsen the vibration effect. If you have a foam roller you can use that to open up your back, or try shoulder dislocations with a broomstick or resistance band (don't worry it's just a name, obviously you don't actually dislocate your shoulder. google it.)
    Thank you so much.
    I went for a run today making sure I stayed upright and didn't let my shoulders roll forwards. It helped a lot, I'll try those stretches over the next few weeks.
    I should have remembered rotator cuffs as I injured them a few years in rugby, but I thought it was sorted.
    Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.