Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

laptop mic stopped working after repair Watch

ReputationRep:
    My laptop mic (i.e. the built in speakers which you can use as a microphone as well) were working fine before. I took it in for repair at PC world since there was issues with it e.g. the cooling system was faulty and the charger was temperamental.

I've not got it back and all the other issues are fixed and the speakers are working fine but when I try to sing/ speak into the microphone both on a webcam and on a recording app nothing is picked up.

All the applications that I had installed on the computer are still there and I did a search to check for updated drivers but after I did that it said the driver I have currently installed is the most up to date one. Does anyone know what has happened or should i just return it back to PC World telling them that the microphone is now no longer working

would be great if someone can help- will give rep

ReputationRep:
    Before you do anything more permanent, open device manager, find your microphone on the device list, right click and disable it, then right click and enable. If it's a software problem this might catch it.

I'm guessing you've already tried restarting your laptop. If not, do that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Before you do anything more permanent, open device manager, find your microphone on the device list, right click and disable it, then right click and enable. If it's a software problem this might catch it.

I'm guessing you've already tried restarting your laptop. If not, do that first.
    yeah I tried restarting

thanks for your suggestion
    I try that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.