Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,

I've just registered to do a Computing and IT degree at the OU. Starting with TU100 my digital life - would be really grateful if someone could answer some questions to help me make some decisions...

I am working full time (9-5) and dont have kids so will have plenty of time to study and do work. I would like to get this done as quickly as possible. I already have a degree (in languages) and was good at math in school. I am tech savvy and very able user - having grown up with computers, i can build, fix and problem solve on them (have had an IT related role at work on service desk) but dont know a thing about programming.

Looking at the reviews, they seem pretty mixed of the first module (tu100 my digital life) - and cover things like note taking, plagarism as well as other IT related subjects... and the math modules seem not to be too difficult (would probably go for the more advanced math option).

Has anyone done all 3 modules in one year, if so could you let me know the workload and how many hours you needed to spend studying and doing assignments per week? They say 35 hours ideally per week, but I did well in my first degree with less than this - and at the open day one of the tutors said that when asked the students rarely said that they managed 35 hours around family and work, but more like 15. Could you also let me know you thoughts on stage 1 (or whoe degree for that matter) as a whole - was it worthwhile?

I was considering starting with TU100 in Oct and starting the other 2 in Jan depending on workload, but think its important to have a break from studies - especially if you'll be doing it for 5 years. If i were to fail a module, can i retake the test - will i be able to do this in the sept exams (with those that started in January as oposed to October) and will I have to pay for the whole module again or just the exam?

Also any other feedback would be grately appreciated - was it a useful degree, do you feel like it will give you enough to get a decent IT job after...

thanks for any replies

Rhod

ReputationRep:
    good questions i start in sept

ReputationRep:
    Hi Welshy. I am quite shocked that you've not had a reply to this in over 3 weeks, however i'll try my best for you.

I have been studying Computing and IT with the OU since 2012. I started with TU100, which I found to be a very good module; lots of information, learnt a lot and all of the information flowed to link each other up. I'd certainly start with this module first. I am coming to the end of MU123 and TM129 in September.

I also work full time, without any kids. I originally started on a different degree, where I had to study two business modules. I started studying all of these in one go. At times it was a struggle with work and commitments, but the first year it is certainly manageable. This year, I changed my degree pathway and that is why I am doing MU123 and TM129. If I were on this pathway to begin with I would of done all 3 modules together. However, I certainly do suggest staggering the modules (October and one/two in January). I have similar starting knowledge to what you've said and I've not found any of this to be a struggle, as the material, for me, has been good. I've also outsourced the material I do not understand, which I think is only natural during a degree. As for programming, I never done it in my life before TU100 and TM129, now I feel I know the basics and I am ready for my second year modules where I am moving onto Java and Python, which will be the same for you.

I found the reviews to be mixed also, and I think this is because people vary drastically in knowledge before starting a degree in computing with the OU. TU100 was good for me, as all the covering of note taking, plagarism etc was all new to me at this level of study and it was certainly worth it for me. You, already having a degree, will probably be able to skip these parts of the course, or at least skim them. The maths is roughly the equivalent of GCSE, touching lower level A level for MU123, the other module is the higher level course. If you're comfortable with mathematics then that may be for you, but that's not up to me to say. I done MU123 as mathematics is certainly not my strongest point.

I find myself studying anywhere from 0(opps) to 20 hours a week, and that's with 1-3 modules on the go. It always varied as some weeks I knew the material, others I didn't and some I just couldn't be bothered, as a couple of times it seemed pretty irrelevant to me what was being covered that particular week. But, again, this is different for everyone. My thoughts on stage 1 is that it's difficult at times, but is also very manageable and not drastically time consuming. The material is quite basic, but does get more advanced as you progress through the modules. I can't comment on stage 2, as I am not starting that until October.

As for failing a module I am not 100% sure on what happens. But I am led to believe that if you were to fail say the EMA (End Module Assessment) or an Exam, then you'd get to retake the exam, but being capped at 40%. I don't know about any of the costs etc as I don't plan on failing!!

From what I've learnt in stage 1 I've found some of it to be helpful towards a job. Such as, in TM129 you learn about Linux. This is the first time I got indepth with it and I can not comfortably put this onto my CV. I've not applied for jobs, but it is certainly a plus point in the IT industry. The programming you learn in stage 1 is certainly not enough for a job in programming world, but I am sure stage 2 and 3 will give you this indepth knowledge for the industry you may want to progress into. The mathematics module has also helped in some way, as I can now put down that I know about math's topics, such as algebra, trigonometry and much more.

I hope this has been some help, and feel free to ask me anything you like, either on here or by a private message if you wish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.