Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any careers in chemistry/physics that do not involve biology? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am still trying to figure out what to do after high school and I'm not that too keen on biology, so I'm debating whether or not I should take it next year. I've already taken chemistry and I love chemistry (I got 93% on my final exam) and I took physics, and I'm doing it again next year. So what are some careers in the science field (other than astrology, I already know of that one) that involve chemistry or/and physics that do not involve biology?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try looking at the oil industry as there is obviously chemistry there in terms of combustion and greater fuel efficacy and I don't see biology being involved much, if it is at all.

ReputationRep:
    There's a huge industry focused on polymers. I'm currently working in the polyurethane industry, I basically develop plastic or foam systems for various applications (elastomers for stuff like wheels, or cable protection, buoys, coatings). Some of this material is used in the oil and gas industry as pipeline coatings or on offshore oil rigs.

Formulations work - can be in any sort of industry, but typically think like Unilever, Proctor & Gamble type companies, so things like household products and cosmetics (detergents, soaps, deodorant, shampoo etc.) right over to paint, with companies such as AkzoNobel
    Infineum do formulations type work with detergents for petroleum.

Catalysis tends to always have developments happening, so can be based on things like organometallic complexes - again, doesn't have to have anything to do with biology. Companies like Johnson Mattey, for instance.

Lots of aspects of organic chemistry tend to veer to biological sectors, but there are things that can lead elsewhere. To be honest, it's not so much the biology you're concerned with either, because you do the chemistry (working out how to synthesise it, and doing it) and a biologist/biochemist will probably lead the biological side to an evaluation.

Computational chemistry is quite big, so good if you fancy programming or like theoretical modelling. Can tie into physics and thermodynamics more.

Analytical chemistry is very much about testing and characterising substances. Every chemical industry has analytical chemists for manufacturing sites (quality control) and usually for R&D or development labs. The skills are based around techniques and use of equipment so you can transfer it over to another area of chemistry without too much trouble. There are specific tests for certain industries, but the main analytical chap at my workplace used to work in pharmaceuticals - completely different to what we do. Could end up with companies like Kellogg's etc. in the food industry.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.