Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am starting Uni in September and need a portable laptop/ultrabook, but I don't know where to start really - any ideas?

Some people have suggested Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or Pro 3. Are they good as portable laptops? The plus side to the Surface is that it's very light. Anyone got a Surface Pro 2? What is it like?

I will only need the device for function things like word processing, PDFs, researching on the internet and maybe spreadsheets.

My budget is £600-750.

Are the computer sales on soon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyconcept)
    Hi,

I am starting Uni in September and need a portable laptop/ultrabook, but I don't know where to start really - any ideas?

Some people have suggested Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or Pro 3. Are they good as portable laptops? The plus side to the Surface is that it's very light. Anyone got a Surface Pro 2? What is it like?

I will only need the device for function things like word processing, PDFs, researching on the internet and maybe spreadsheets.

My budget is £600-750.

Surfaces are quite cheap at the moment, the first version I think, seems very well specced. Though again the things you are looking to do is very basic and any laptop will do, also Windows 8 kinda sucks, its the interface, really need touchscreen to get used to it.
    Have a look at saveonlaptops, amazon, laptopsdirect, ebuyer, etc

Ideally you are looking at i3 processor minimum, preferably the newer i3-4xxx ones, and 4gb of ram, the more tabs in chrome consider 6gb ram.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/152...blet-/TAB0699/

http://www.mobymemory.co.uk/5589-mic...70628876.html?

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks for that.

What about a MacBook Air? The 11" 128GB ones are about £749....

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My budget is £600-750.

I have a Surface Pro (1st generation) and I love it, I've used Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen laptop and it doesn't *really* work but on a touchscreen I find it really easy to use. Bear in mind though that if you want a keyboard this will cost you extra on top. The on-screen keyboard is fine, but if you are going to be doing a lot of word processing I would say you would definitely need to buy a keyboard.

Its great for note taking though as it comes with a pen so you can write by hand and convert to text (I use OneNote).

ReputationRep:
    Hi - thanks for that.

What about a MacBook Air? The 11" 128GB ones are about £749....
    Pisses over any Windows machine in that bracket in my humble opinion. Windows 8 is the worst operating system I've used in my life and ruins the PC experience. If you don't mind Win8 then you get more for your money with PCs though. If you're a gamer, Windows is better

I'm eying up the Macbook pro 13" but have a feeling they'll revamp the designs Q4 this year so I'm holding out. The Air is crucially missing the Retina display but it fits your budget. The battery life on Macs are superior to Windows laptops. The difference is quite significant

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too fond of Windows 8 and not too keen on Surface for demanding academic work either, as I don't think it's as good as regular laptops for College work. You really do need a proper keyboard (rather than the screen keyboard) for essays and lengthy note-taking, and you have to buy one extra for another £100 or so. And even that keyboard is not as good as keyboards in other laptops, in my view - it is way too thin and not sensitive enough for quick typing, and the touchpad is very frustrating to use. Also, the keys are a bit different - there is no ctrl key for example, which I use all the time for shortcuts, but that's a matter of habit/taste, I suppose.

I have a 13" Sony Vaio Ultrabook and it's great, I would highly recommend it. It has a lot of RAM so it is very fast, and it is also light and thin, with a good screen. I have installed Microsoft Office for Students which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote and I use it all the time - OneNote by the way is amazing for research and organising your notes. There is nothing like it.

Of course everyone has their own preferences, and most computers are better for some things than others, so it's good that you know exactly what you will be using it for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.