The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Open University general questions. Any answer would be great help !

Hello everyone (and sorry for the long thread)!
I am looking forword to start my Natural Sciences degree,and i have so many questions which are not clear on the Open University page,so here are some of my questions (sorry if they sound dumb,i have no previous Academic education) . :

-Tuition fee : Has anyone taken it ? How does it work? Do i have to apply for it first,and then for my course or the other way around?
-Do student loans have interest? Because it is not very clear,i can't find out how much i give them back.
-If i apply for support,and i will tell them that i am full time (i think they give more support on full time students),is it going to be possible to change from full time to part time if the workload is too much or i am obliged to study full time?
-How often do i have to give "exams" (i know its not the right term) in the year? Is it going to be at home,or i have to go somewhere? On each "exam" do i get a grade,or is it just a pass/no pass?

-Tutors: Am i going to have one tutor,for all the years,or they change? If i am not happy with someone (doesn't explain properly or something) can i ask for a different tutor?

-About the degree it self now(Natural Sciences). How does it work? I am interested in 2 subjects,but i am not sure how hard they are going to be. I would like to see first the broad based approach,and the decide if i want to follow astrology or physics. Is this going to be possible ?
- In the end of the cource,the degree (in case i choose let's say astronomy for instance) is it going to be the name of the subject "Degree in Astronomy" or is it going to be degree in Natural sciences?

Sorry for the long thread,please answer to whatever you like,even one answer will be help. Thank you for your time ! :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am full time 120 credits a year and get the £267 payment once a year. I only pay a small amount towards my degree myself.
Student loans have no interest as I know off.
You do TMA's to be handed in every 2 - 3 months and then sit final exams at a local college.
Plus you have online tests called ICMA's through the duration of your modules.

No, your tutors change per module.

Sounds like you should just phone the OU and ask. They normally will phone you anyway before your course starts.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
If you take out a student loan from SFE you will pay interest and this interest starts accumulating when you get your loan (as opposed to at the end of your course).

I wouldn't be scared of this though due to the nice repayment scheme. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fuzzyfeet
I am full time 120 credits a year and get the £267 payment once a year. I only pay a small amount towards my degree myself.
Student loans have no interest as I know off.
You do TMA's to be handed in every 2 - 3 months and then sit final exams at a local college.
Plus you have online tests called ICMA's through the duration of your modules.

No, your tutors change per module.

Sounds like you should just phone the OU and ask. They normally will phone you anyway before your course starts.

If you pay a small amount,and they pay 267 for the degree,what is the price per year for your degree? Sounds very small. I think my Natural Sciences degree is like 5000 per year. Maybe i misunderstood.
Original post by rayquaza17
If you take out a student loan from SFE you will pay interest and this interest starts accumulating when you get your loan (as opposed to at the end of your course).

I wouldn't be scared of this though due to the nice repayment scheme. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did visit their website,and they claim that the repayment is 30 per month for full time students. But if i calculate correct,it will take you 41 years to repay,but they claim that after 30 years the debt is deleted.. Am i drunk or something,or awfull at math? :banghead:
Original post by PrinceofRandom
If you pay a small amount,and they pay 267 for the degree,what is the price per year for your degree? Sounds very small. I think my Natural Sciences degree is like 5000 per year. Maybe i misunderstood.

No I meant I get a funding payment of £267 per year to into my bank from the student grants place via the government which is for me to buy books, pens, things etc. 98% of my degree costs are also paid to the Uni by the government.
Original post by PrinceofRandom
I did visit their website,and they claim that the repayment is 30 per month for full time students. But if i calculate correct,it will take you 41 years to repay,but they claim that after 30 years the debt is deleted.. Am i drunk or something,or awfull at math? :banghead:

How much you pay each month depends on how much you earn. Yes it does get wiped out after so many years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question for both rayquaza17 and fuzzyfeet. Are you both doing your first degree here?

I had my first degree financed by SFW. The degree here should cost me around 4600 over the course of three years. If I could get it even lower...
Original post by BestProfileName
I have a question for both rayquaza17 and fuzzyfeet. Are you both doing your first degree here?

I had my first degree financed by SFW. The degree here should cost me around 4600 over the course of three years. If I could get it even lower...

I don't study with the OU, I was just offering advice on the SF side of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by fuzzyfeet
No I meant I get a funding payment of £267 per year to into my bank from the student grants place via the government which is for me to buy books, pens, things etc.

Hi fuzzyfeet, may I ask what this grant is and how/where you applied for it? I wasn't aware that we could get help buying equipment. Thanks!
Original post by haksaeng
Hi fuzzyfeet, may I ask what this grant is and how/where you applied for it? I wasn't aware that we could get help buying equipment. Thanks!

I never applied for it. It is via the student finance place that I think near everybody goes through. The government pays 98% of my degree fees and I also get that extra bit in October / November for covering any little extra bits.

Quick Reply

Latest