Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Austrian student moving to the uk - how to finance myself? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hello there
    i am new here so there have probably been LOTS of posts on the same topic so: sorry!^^

i am currently studying sinology at the university of vienna and just finished my first year - yay
    this winter term i am going to beijing to study at beijing daxue for one term.
    i thought of going to england before but my final exam didnt go as planned so i went to vienna. but now i feel like i NEED to go. but i dont know how to finance it...i mean in vienna we dont pay tuition fees, and living here is about 600€ a month.
    how can i finance myself? i cannot count on the support of my father and i dont want to take out my mom - poor her
    i heard about grants and stuff but do i get them for sure? do they cover everything? help please :P

thank you guys!!
    alex

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, do you want to do a full degree here? If so then you're entitled to student loan to study in the UK because you're an EU citizen and you pay the same tuition fees as us which is up to £9k in england (funded by student loan) and free in wales and scotland. Can't remember if you need to pay to go to uni in N.Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    I don't understand, do you want to do a full degree here? If so then you're entitled to student loan to study in the UK because you're an EU citizen and you pay the same tuition fees as us which is up to £9k in england (funded by student loan) and free in wales and scotland. Can't remember if you need to pay to go to uni in N.Ireland.
    well i want to 'finish' my degree here. i wrote to a lady from SOAS university and she said that i am most welcome to finish my bachelor here. i dont want to start all over again that would be a bit of a wasted time :P

and if i apply i will get it 100%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_china)
    well i want to 'finish' my degree here. i wrote to a lady from SOAS university and she said that i am most welcome to finish my bachelor here. i dont want to start all over again that would be a bit of a wasted time :P

and if i apply i will get it 100%?

Well I'm not sure how it would work that way then. I think you'd need to contact the student loans company and ask if they'd fund it. You might get funding through an austrian scheme as well though.

Here's a link to the SLC, look through the website or send them an email and for some advice.

http://www.slc.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_china)
    hello there
    i am new here so there have probably been LOTS of posts on the same topic so: sorry!^^

i am currently studying sinology at the university of vienna and just finished my first year - yay
    this winter term i am going to beijing to study at beijing daxue for one term.
    i thought of going to england before but my final exam didnt go as planned so i went to vienna. but now i feel like i NEED to go. but i dont know how to finance it...i mean in vienna we dont pay tuition fees, and living here is about 600€ a month.
    how can i finance myself? i cannot count on the support of my father and i dont want to take out my mom - poor her
    i heard about grants and stuff but do i get them for sure? do they cover everything? help please :P

thank you guys!!
    alex
    If you have lived in the eu for the last three years you can apply for a tuition fee loan. You may also be able to get an eu bursary from a university if you have a low househould income but its university dependant
    t

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.