Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am an international student and I was accepted into City London University for foundation year. I was wondering should I take a gap year or not? I would love to learn new languages. the money to afford college is also a small issue, but I could make it work. Is there a way I can work abroad and earn money and also learn new languages? Would a gap year help me achieve anything important? would I have learned anything? Is it a waste of time, and would I have just wasted a year I could have spent finishing college? by the way Im 18, and plan on studying international politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmadalkarute)
    So I am an international student and I was accepted into City London University for foundation year. I was wondering should I take a gap year or not? I would love to learn new languages. the money to afford college is also a small issue, but I could make it work. Is there a way I can work abroad and earn money and also learn new languages? Would a gap year help me achieve anything important? would I have learned anything? Is it a waste of time, and would I have just wasted a year I could have spent finishing college? by the way Im 18, and plan on studying international politics.
    Hey there! Now, I'm no guru so whatever I say will just be my little opinion.
    I'm just a little confused, you wanna take a gap year here? I mean, not in your own country, right?
    Most of the students who take gap years are the ones doing medicine etc (as far as I know). So if I was in your place, I wouldn't really take a gap year.
    However, what I would do instead is see if the University offers, the degree with a year in placement. That way, after your first year in uni, you'll get a chance to have work experience related to your degree. You'll be working during that year. I'm guessing that would be a better chance to experience the culture, make some money through your placement (most probably). Sometimes you can also do a year abroad, either to study or a year in industry but it all depends on the uni and the job opportunities you might get. I say, ask your uni if they offer a year abroad or a year in industry, either of these two would be better than just taking a gap year. That's my suggestion best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would love to learn new languages
    I will pause and answer you. The decision to take gap year is not bad at all. It is the best way to start launching your career boosting your confidence and taking insight from your proposed area of study.
    The best part is deciding to go abroad.
    Deciding to learn a new language is parallel to your area of study. Travel for a gap year, immerse your self into the culture of the people, learn history.
    Remember that you could only be a good international politician with a good understanding of history and culture. this will quicken your understanding of why people do what they do.
    I was on a Gap Year funded by my parents in China and it was fun.

Is there a way I can work abroad and earn money and also learn new languages?

Working abroad, I am not sure of what happens in other countries but regulations are pretty loose in China. On my trip to France and Italy, I could not work but I did so when I was in China. Are you a native English speaker? or do you have a good command over the english language?
    If yes, I will recommend China to you. You can make a good amount from a part time job while you do your internship. You could arrange a paid internship alongside your part time job.
    It could be plannned. there are many agencies that arrange this and you could get in touch with them as well and they will help you. If you needed a recommendation, send me a private message

Is it a waste of time, and would I have just wasted a year I could have spent finishing college?

This can never be a waste of time at all. Especially knowing that you will learn a lot of stuff, get networked, earn an income and get exposed. I promise you will never be the same . and U will never regret it

by the way Im 18, and plan on studying international politics
    To be frank, this is a nice frontier u have chosen. it is seeing massive developments over the decades. It keeps you abreast with time and you cannot afford to be outdated. But you should love reading and be critical in your analysis.
    Good luck bro!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Night stalker)
    I would love to learn new languages
    I will pause and answer you. The decision to take gap year is not bad at all. It is the best way to start launching your career boosting your confidence and taking insight from your proposed area of study.
    The best part is deciding to go abroad.
    Deciding to learn a new language is parallel to your area of study. Travel for a gap year, immerse your self into the culture of the people, learn history.
    Remember that you could only be a good international politician with a good understanding of history and culture. this will quicken your understanding of why people do what they do.
    I was on a Gap Year funded by my parents in China and it was fun.

Is there a way I can work abroad and earn money and also learn new languages?

Working abroad, I am not sure of what happens in other countries but regulations are pretty loose in China. On my trip to France and Italy, I could not work but I did so when I was in China. Are you a native English speaker? or do you have a good command over the english language?
    If yes, I will recommend China to you. You can make a good amount from a part time job while you do your internship. You could arrange a paid internship alongside your part time job.
    It could be plannned. there are many agencies that arrange this and you could get in touch with them as well and they will help you. If you needed a recommendation, send me a private message

Is it a waste of time, and would I have just wasted a year I could have spent finishing college?

This can never be a waste of time at all. Especially knowing that you will learn a lot of stuff, get networked, earn an income and get exposed. I promise you will never be the same . and U will never regret it

by the way Im 18, and plan on studying international politics
    To be frank, this is a nice frontier u have chosen. it is seeing massive developments over the decades. It keeps you abreast with time and you cannot afford to be outdated. But you should love reading and be critical in your analysis.
    Good luck bro!!

thank you for your thorough answer. first off, yes I am a native English speaker.

I was looking into internships in china, and I was unable to find anything to do with what I wanted to study, so thats why I didnt look any further into it.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for your thorough answer. first off, yes I am a native English speaker.

I was looking into internships in china, and I was unable to find anything to do with what I wanted to study, so thats why I didnt look any further into it.
    Alright as I keep saying, being a good Native English Speaker is an asset you could use in China to become what you want. You could send me a personal email on this platform and I will let you know what you should do.
    Dont give up the fight !!
    Knowledge is power !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.