Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    That's a seperate thread.
    Well observed. Your observational skills will take you far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    No offence, but I feel you are missing the point. If you KNEW that to denature the toxin (or whatever) you had to thoroughly cook the food - as is the case with beans now - then all well and good. The problem is that we wouldn't KNOW what needed doing to the GM food to make it safe.

For example: a GM lettuce that needed boiling for an hour to make it safe wouldn't be a big hit, would it?

Rosie

Very good point! To add to this, it is worth mentioning that not all food produce is cooked before consumption and so any proteins contained within the food would not be dentured completely before you eat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    No offence, but I feel you are missing the point. If you KNEW that to denature the toxin (or whatever) you had to thoroughly cook the food - as is the case with beans now - then all well and good. The problem is that we wouldn't KNOW what needed doing to the GM food to make it safe.

For example: a GM lettuce that needed boiling for an hour to make it safe wouldn't be a big hit, would it?

Rosie
    In my original post I was referring to the DNAs only. Not taking into account of any other factors.

And I'm man enough to say that you are indeed correct. Totally, in all points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The worst thing I know is when people say stuff like "I am not going to trust the scientists because they are being paid by teh GM companies". By this logic we should put ignorant lunitics in charge of everything cus the experts are obviously biased because it is "their" field of knowledge. Of course everyone is biased to some degree , but that is not an argument to put more trust to Greenpeace than to the people who actually know how the stuff works. Much of the criticism against GM is there just because people has a problem with science being able to interfere with the process of life, and not because of any objective insight into teh problems. I mean, when peopel make posters showing wommen with four breasts connected to a milking machine they really show that they have no clue about what the potential risks of GM actually are.
    Most people don't understand or know anything about the science and biology behind most technologies and only express their opinions based upon science fiction series.... it is a whole big joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The worst thing I know is when people say stuff like "I am not going to trust the scientists because they are being paid by teh GM companies". By this logic we should put ignorant lunitics in charge of everything cus the experts are obviously biased because it is "their" field of knowledge. Of course everyone is biased to some degree , but that is not an argument to put more trust to Greenpeace than to the people who actually know how the stuff works. Much of the criticism against GM is there just because people has a problem with science being able to interfere with the process of life, and not because of any objective insight into teh problems. I mean, when peopel make posters showing wommen with four breasts connected to a milking machine they really show that they have no clue about what the potential risks of GM actually are.

...besides, I'm sure there are much better uses for women with four breasts than milking machines..

ReputationRep:
    I like GM food because I like eating big red juicy ripe tomatoes the size of pumpkins and not the small ugly mouldy ones that you'd expect to find in an Uzbek bazaar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I like GM food because I like eating big red juicy ripe tomatoes the size of pumpkins and not the small ugly mouldy ones that you'd expect to find in an Uzbek bazaar.
    Why an Uzbek bazar...U can also find them in some old lttl english shop as well....full of worms and rotten inside

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of a situation happening atm? In one country where GM seeds are being used, farmers have overloaded their fields with herbicides/pesticides because the plants aren't affected by them... The soil has actually become completely drained of nutrients, so the plants don't grow too well anyway.

And on top of that, the chemicals that the farmers have used have been washed away into surrounding rivers, killing lifeforms that lived in there. Since rivers lead to the ocean, guess what?

If GM foods were to be used, people would have to be educated first... Which would take a while. Then there's always the fact that the seeds of GM food cause the plants to grow "infertile" so farmers have to keep going back and buying more seeds, instead of being able to grow crops off the last lot of plants... Make sense? So poor farmers have less chance of making money, whilst the GM companies make millions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Then there's always the fact that the seeds of GM food cause the plants to grow "infertile" so farmers have to keep going back and buying more seeds, instead of being able to grow crops off the last lot of plants... Make sense?

Not a problem anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I was sure that in the cotton plant trial, they ended up using less chemicals than usual, thereby reducing any risk of eutrophication

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Not a problem anymore.
    Has there been a law on that or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Has there been a law on that or something?

No, but there has been scientific advancement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with science, it was to do with money.

ReputationRep:
    I read soemwhere that the companies wanted to encode somehow into the genes a time delayed "self destruction" sequence. So forcing the farmers to buy new seeds from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I read soemwhere that the companies wanted to encode somehow into the genes a time delayed "self destruction" sequence. So forcing the farmers to buy new seeds from them.
    Is that actually possible? A bomb of some sort? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    Is that actually possible? A bomb of some sort? :confused:
    No bono...more like programmed cell deaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    3i + 2j

Where i is the horizontal vector and where j is the vertical vector.
    Well, purely mathematically there is no reasonm to limit ourself to 2 or 3 dimensions. In quantum mechanics, as an example, the ket vector describing an electrons position has an INFINITE number of dimensions. A bit difficult to draw a diagram though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well, you would find it interesting to know that the nutritional value of lenice today is about 20% less than what it was during WW2. This is because farmers has developed breeds that grow as quick as possibel to ensure maximum output, on the expense of quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    No bono...more like programmed cell deaths.
    It just seems weird, "programmed". Is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I was sure that in the cotton plant trial, they ended up using less chemicals than usual, thereby reducing any risk of eutrophication
    do you mean fertilisers? because it is generally the nitrates in fertilisers which cause eutrophication.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.